1000 ish pidos on a rape field!!!

Steyr 6.5

All, I had a call from a farmer today to say that his 100 acre rape field is covered in Pigeons. I went and had a look and he wasnt joking!! Must have been 1000 feeding on the rape which is now around 10cm high. Good thing is the fields near bye dont have anything growing on the so may have a chance of keeping them interested. Planning to go later this week but wondered if you had any tips on keeping the flock interested, in the past ive not had much luck with big flocks they just seem to fly off after the first couple of shots and thats it for the day. Any tips...apart from using a Hushpower that is!!!

Edited by stevienicknacks

I have got the same problem there must be 4000 plus birds on the rape where i shoot, But i cant seem to get them interested in the decoys. :lol:

I have started with about 15 decoys out and added more in total about 60 at one stage, and i took some in, I changed the pattern about 5 times but the big flocks dont give it a second look. It just tends to bring the odd two or single birds. The bigger flock (2000+) is in the middle of the field and surrounding fields, There not shot shy as they just keep movein around the area of where i am.

In total theres about 500 acres of rape?

I have shot 40 today but should have been 400 if i could get them in. :good:

Any advise is more that welcome :lol:

Cheers frustrated Stu

I have got the same problem there must be 4000 plus birds on the rape where i shoot, But i cant seem to get them interested in the decoys. :lol:

I have started with about 15 decoys out and added more in total about 60 at one stage, and i took some in, I changed the pattern about 5 times but the big flocks dont give it a second look. It just tends to bring the odd two or single birds. The bigger flock (2000+) is in the middle of the field and surrounding fields, There not shot shy as they just keep movein around the area of where i am.

In total theres about 500 acres of rape?

I have shot 40 today but should have been 400 if i could get them in. :good:

Any advise is more that welcome :lol:

Cheers frustrated Stu

More shooters in the surounding area to keep them moving about might help ............. you need some friends :lol: It is very very hard on our own with big flocks.

Defo makes a big difference. May need to split up...only prob is we have 1 magnet.

Wouldn't worry about only 1 magnet, just use good fieldcraft and anything to gain movement in the patterns of each of the lads. Get under the flightlines and try different patterns until one works for you on the day :good:

Put some bangers at one end of the field or just past it if you can, failing that put some flags up to keep the birds away from those places and use plenty of decoys above the crop in your pattern, as many as you can get your hands on. If you have a bouncer, flapper or rotary that should pull them toward you as it will add movement.

If you can get under a sittie tree a couple of lofters might help.

The only thing is mate, remember the farmer wants them off, if you delay a few days and someone pops their heads in and asks if he can shoot for a day, the chances are the farmer will say yes. He's interested in his crop, not good shooting for you I'm afraid.

The only thing is mate, remember the farmer wants them off, if you delay a few days and someone pops their heads in and asks if he can shoot for a day, the chances are the farmer will say yes. He's interested in his crop, not good shooting for you I'm afraid.

Agreed, just gunna struggle to get there until Boxing day im afraid, working tomorrow and the XMAS is in the way!!!I walked the fields woith him today and he said he understood the time constraints but defo need to give them a good hammering over the next week. He actaully has 2 large sections of rape which are around a mile apart both with 1000 birds chomping on!!!! Could be a bust Christmas for the shotty.

Edited by stevienicknacks

I have got a magnet with Hypaflaps but dont always find it works it sometimes makes them scared before they come into range, There is also a bangor set up at the bottom of the field and they take no notice of it.

I also use bouncers and peckers

I do shoot with a couple of other lads but still havent managed to bring the big flocks in close.

I will get some more decoys and see how we go failing that it will be telephone calls........... :good:

I have got a magnet with Hypaflaps but dont always find it works it sometimes makes them scared before they come into range, There is also a bangor set up at the bottom of the field and they take no notice of it.

I also use bouncers and peckers

I do shoot with a couple of other lads but still havent managed to bring the big flocks in close.

I will get some more decoys and see how we go failing that it will be telephone calls........... :good:

It may have nothing to do with your set up, these big flocks do not always want to decoy. Regarding the rotary etc, I would start with just the decoys then watch the reactions of the birds: If you introduce bits one by one you will see how they react. If you put it all out at once, how do you know what they are kinking away to? I'd put the peckers out to start with, I don't think these would scare them off!

Also don't be scared to change the pattern about if it ain't working. If they are constantly feeding the other end of the field, you should move there! You're sitting in the wrong place!!

Well we got there early today and managed to shoot 999 of them (my mate missed one)!!!!! Honest!! We actually finished off with close to 60 birds for the full day which we were happy with considering that the flock ****** off as soon as we got there, but we did keep getting smaller flocks coming over through out the day. Unfortunately heavy fog set in at arounf 11:30am which didnt help with decoying.. Back there again later this week.

Happy hunting. Cheers.