Re: Hodnet Victory Shoot

Nicky T

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its off for me im afraid looking at the glass like ice on the road outside which might mean its worse higher up over the roads i would be going on. :yes::hmm:

one of the few shoots i was looking forward to doing.

good luck to those that do make it. :yes:

All might not be lost as I believe that they're re-running the Victory shoot at Hodnet on 31st January :)

a mate from chatsworth area has just phoned to say hes turning back as its getting bad on his route there. :)

thats macclesfield area over the tops.

High winds and rain in Macclesfield . After lots of discussion on the phone we have decided to give it a miss :yes:

I was looking forward to it , but the thoughts of standing in this or worse for most of the day, just didn't appeal to me. Looks like we will be going on the 30th jan. instead.

Good luck to anyone who goes there today, you've got my admiration or should that be sympathy :yes:

Yawwwnnnn!!!!!!!! -- sorry lads - overslept due to sleeping pill -- Rainy and bit windy at moment still 38f

NickyT could be right - Tom does do a re-run of major shoots - might be a few changes to one or two traps but it's basically same - I might do it again.

Dave

I must say after all that we had a great day - warm and mild - no rain - no wind - cracking beef bap and horse radish sauce - Met up with lads here and we have bumped into each other at other shoots - was good to put face to names and vis versa.

Dave :blush:

Just got back in from the Victory Shoot - thanks to Chard for ferrying us as there and back without incident and bigger thanks to Anni for sitting in the front seat leaving a natural crumple zone for me in the back :D

The weather was thankfully very kind to us today and despite fears of snow, sleet and god knows what else we managed to shoot the whole round with only the lightest of drizzle for all of five minutes :blush:

Met up with Auntie and saw the Potters there as well as a few other familiar faces :D Nice to meet Dave and see Berettaman Ron (please allow him back for 2010 by the way mods ;) )

Hodnet is without a doubt the most picturesque ground I have ever had the pleasure of shooting at :yes: Thoroughly enjoyed the Victory Shoot and whilst it didn't look the hardest of courses the lower than average scores throughout the classes on the scoreboard hinted that most targets deserved a little more credit than they got :hmm:

Scores on the doors that I can remember:

Son of Potter 83

Mr Potter 80

Chard 73

Nicky T 67

Anni 58

Sorry Auntie I forgot to ask you before you left. Will upload some pictures from the day later on.

Almost forgot to add that we shot all 14 stands in DAYLIGHT :)

Edited by Nicky T

A very enjoyable shoot. Beautiful surroundings and good targets. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have any real long range stuff like I expected. Perhaps because they were expecting blizzards and gales, they didn't put these rangey birds on :blush: . Instead it was Simo City, with quite a few devious simo pairs, some of which didn't give you much time.

It was quite tough, as some of the scores show, though the Potters shot it rather well, I thought, as did the new PW dark horse, DSPUK Dave.

Updated with some of the missing scores :

Son of Potter 83

Mr Potter 80

DSPUK Dave - 78 Well shot, chap :D

Chard 73

Berettaman Ron - 73 Good to see you again fella :hmm:

Nicky T 67

Aunty - 61 :yes:

Anni 58

There were a couple of scores in the 90's, Martin Myers, Mick Nicholson, I think. Don't know how these blokes do it.

I only took one crappy photo of Aunty having a look at a pair :D

I'll try and upload it later, my internet connection has gone deathly slow, it's driving me barking.

Edited by Chard

As long as I can remember Hodnet has never put on rangy targets - I have always maintained you can shoot all targets with a good 3/8 choke - I use 1/2 just because my choke is fixed but Tom (owner) said to me you don't need distance to make someone miss - angles and speed - slow or fast -- stand 14 did me - I miss read looper - it was faster than I thought and shot over second bird - that was my worse stand 2x8 - I shall certainly go back at end of month and re-shoot it - also I will sign up for the Cheshire Police Shoot at end of March.

Dave

As long as I can remember Hodnet has never put on rangy targets - I have always maintained you can shoot all targets with a good 3/8 choke - I use 1/2 just because my choke is fixed but Tom (owner) said to me you don't need distance to make someone miss - angles and speed - slow or fast -- stand 14 did me - I miss read looper - it was faster than I thought and shot over second bird - that was my worse stand 2x8 - I shall certainly go back at end of month and re-shoot it - also I will sign up for the Cheshire Police Shoot at end of March.

Dave

I fell foul of stand 14 too :blush:

Do you know the date for the Cheshire Police Shoot yet?

Sounds like it t'was a good day, well shot all :blush:

DSPUK, I know what you mean about rangy targets, I have shot there about half a dozen times and have never seen anything there that was a silly distance away, just targets cleverly angled and tricky enough to get people missing them.

Really looking forward to the Uni Championships there in February now :D

I can't remember what Stand 14 was :blush:

Did we shoot it earlyish, out of sequence?

If it was that one, I got 7/8 on that :yes:

Are we going to have a go at the re-run in January? :hmm:

Stand 14 was the fifth stand that we shot; Auntie shot first, you second, Anni third and me last. It had a L-R Looper on it and a R-L going away (wind affected) target if that helps :D

No re-run for me in January; Doveridge has a registered shoot on that weekend so that's where i'll be headed :D

Edited by Nicky T

I've just spent 20 mins typing a post on this thread on my new laptop (Christmas present), pressed spellcheck and the post disappeared :blush::D:D

I not going to re-type it because I can't remember what I said and I've got to go to bed sometime tonight.

Nicky T and all. The next open(ish) shoot at Hodnet will be the Cheshire Shield a 100 bird competition for Police & emergency services teams. The organisers open up the remaining places to the great unwashed. It is held on the last Thursday in March and, fingers crossed, the weather has been kind for the last 7 or 8 years.

The guy who helps organise it was reffing (Stand 5) at Hodnet today and I will pm his phone number to anyone who wants it when the entries open in February.

Regards

Mr Potter

A poor score for me today. lots of targets where a little on the nippy side for me, but excellent company. We had to do a detour on the way home,as instead of using the grey matter and coming back up the M62/A1. we stupidly went up the M6 and got off at Caton through to Ingleton got as far as The Ribblehead Viaduct and were turned round by the police who said there was a foot of snow, so back to Ingleton and then Sedburgh and Hawes, arriving home at half 7. Long day but enjoyable never the less.Geoff sends his regards to you all, and has just admited that he actually half enjoyed it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Auntie who must try harder. :blush: