PC240020.jpg

added the grouse and redcurrant jelly and cranberry sauce

PC240021.jpg

woops forgot to photograph the partridges but they are in there

PC240023.jpg

the finished royal roast, indeed fit for a king

PC240024.jpg

Thanks for the kind words all.

Though a little tricky (a case of think twice and cut once) to do it was without doubt the tastiest game meal i have created so far. The meat succulent and juicy and the individual birds maintaining their own flavours with just a hint of the sauces i added and stuffing. The apple and herb stuffing went perfectly with it so much better than sage and onion, there was a little fat on the inside of the mallard which no doubt during cooking helped keep everything moist.

After the resounding success of this years atempt next year something a little grander i think. So if anyone out there can swap me a canada goose and guinea fowl for some venison drop me a line as i have in mind something for next year.

canada goose

guinea fowl

mallard

pheasant

grouse

partridge

teal

pigeon

woodcock

All the best everyone, rgds

GSAW

Well done, good photos.

We also had bird in bird etc. Goose, Pheasant, Partridge, Mallard, Pigeon. Unfortunatley we had a mini disaster. Although Mikes hard work went into the oven at 10am, he only declared it fit for consumption at 4pm; 2 hours after we had sat down for Christmas lunch. Its a good job that we had beef and turkey to go at. None the less Mikes contribution was most excellent when it arrived and I managed two helpings.

Can you advise how long yours took to cook, do we have any weight based calculations?

webber

Well done, good photos.

We also had bird in bird etc. Goose, Pheasant, Partridge, Mallard, Pigeon. Unfortunatley we had a mini disaster. Although Mikes hard work went into the oven at 10am, he only declared it fit for consumption at 4pm; 2 hours after we had sat down for Christmas lunch. Its a good job that we had beef and turkey to go at. None the less Mikes contribution was most excellent when it arrived and I managed two helpings.

Can you advise how long yours took to cook, do we have any weight based calculations?

webber

Hi webber, my creation was around 2 1/2 lbs in weight i cooked it for 20 mins per pound plus 20 mins at 180c as a giude line.... opted for 1 1/2 hrs to allow a little extra time for the stuffing to slow down the cooking process and it was perfect. i cooked it upside down in a pyrex pot in a little beefstock for 1 hr 10mins and the right way up uncovered to crisp the skin for the last 20 mins.

hope this helps