Shotgun purchasing in cambs

adp

I'm currently in the market for a new(to me) shotgun and am planning on going around the local shop's to see what's available - I've recently been using a mates 682E Gold which I like but is a little dear for my pocket.

Are there any places in the ely/cambridge area to go and see or to avoid?

I've found a list of local places from the search on fieldsportschannel.tv but would appreciate info from those that know :good:

Cheers,

-adp

Try the Barn Shop between the Wimpole roundabout and Bassingbourn. Also the Country Store in Sawston, both addresses you will find in the phone book.

We find Simpsons to be more expensive than these other two. Both these stores are also very helpful, though who knows, you may get a spotty teenager when you go and then call me a liar.

If you choose to go to the Barn Shop, but can not see the gun you want, rest assured that there is some gorgeous Totty to look at to placate you.

The Barn shop isn't usually cheap though, have a look on guntrader there is a dealer links page and some local ones show their stock and prices to give you an idea. If you're going to the Barn shop its not far to go on to Stuteleys in Baldock who have a fair stock and are pretty helpful

I have always found simpsons to be the cheapest by a fair margin although I was buying new rifles and not shot guns, they do know their shotguns and as mentioned above both father and son compete at a high level.

I like the barnshop as it is a big well stocked shop and as Jim said is full of horse riding ladies, they are happy to show you guns etc. but I wouldn't rely on gun fit advice unless the new guys in there are much better than the old staff.

I always found the sawston shop to be fairly expensive and most of the staff unhelpful and so have not been there for the last few years, things might have changed though.

Stutley bros. is only another 15 minutes past the barnshop so would be worth the drive in my opinion.

The Barn Shop does have a good stock of shotguns in, but I have to admit that they do seem to be a little on the pricey side.

Other places to consider are Fenland Rural Supplies out near Warbouys, or maybe even Donldson's over at MK. They are about five minutes down the road from Ikea, so you could potentially combine a wife-pleasing trip for "stuff" with a trip to look at guns.

Try the Barn Shop between the Wimpole roundabout and Bassingbourn. Also the Country Store in Sawston, both addresses you will find in the phone book.

We find Simpsons to be more expensive than these other two. Both these stores are also very helpful, though who knows, you may get a spotty teenager when you go and then call me a liar.

If you choose to go to the Barn Shop, but can not see the gun you want, rest assured that there is some gorgeous Totty to look at to placate you.

My mrs will be pleased with this quote as she works in the barn shop.

Thanks for all the responses. :rolleyes:

I've been visiting a good proportion of the places mentioned and am thinking that a 30" with a 15ish stock 686e should do me nicely - just need to look around and find reasonable prices and someone with one to sell :rolleyes:

-A

adp - If you are interested in an 'as new' 686 Ltd 30" RH Sporter I have a gun I am selling for £1000 which is indistinguishable from new and shoot less than 1000 cartridges. I have been using a Blaser F3, 32" making the 686 Ltd surplus to requirements. If you are interested you are welcome to try the gun out as I note you are just up the road. ;)

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...6731&hl=686 ltd&st=0

GavG