Anyone shooting this weekend ?

Cranfield

Just phoned me mate and we will probably be ferreting again depending on the weather (its got to be cats and dogs stuff to keep us in mind :) )then sunday i might have a dabble at the crows and rooks,i havent really got into them forweeks now,last sunday i managed one and got absolutly soaked in an "occasional light shower" as the weather man put it that lasted nearly all day ;)

Cant get out this week end.

Working Saturday and got roped into a christening on sunday.

Anyway what with the forcast and the lack of birds in any great numbers I may be better off.

Hoping to get out a bit from next week onwards so being a good lad now might put me in good books with

"she that must be obeyed"

see ya

Sutty ;)  :)

I went out this morning for a couple of hours and got 14 on a small rape field of mine. I thought I would try to get up before the pigeons so was set up by 8am seemed to work as they came well for a couple of hours but then died off , so i was back home by 12,30.

johnny, thats a result, much better than being there all day for 1 or 2. ;)

Do you know where they went, when they disappeared ?

I walked a dozen or so, off a rape field this morning and they went into nearby woods and never came out again.

I spent the day ,until the rain came, watching two fields and not seeing a pigeon show any interest in either of them.

:)

;) Went out early today and headed straight for the field where the farmer said last night-and I quote "there are 2000+ pigeons devastating the rape". when we got there the field was deserted but after watching for a while,about a 100 birds flew into the small wood in the far corner of the field.Great,we have got here just right and with gear loaded onto our backs off we trecked.It is a field where we have had a few chances at pheasants in past years so we walked down either side of the hedge with guns out. I soon put 1 up which flew over the hedge and my mate dropped it.A few more yards and he returned the favour and I had a nice #### bird which I also took with 1 shot.Excitement building for a good day.We set up the deacs. and settled down for the pigeons to return but 2 1/2 hours later with 1 bird down and the drizzle starting,we went for a quick walk round the next field (pasture) to try for more pheasants. We got 3 more and carted the gear back to the car with the rain now chucking it down.Back home for 11-30.So much for the big bag of pigeons the farmer told us to expect but the 5 pheasants saved a disasterous day. :)

Count your blessings Ernyha!!! I went out on a walked up shoot today. We had put down 300 poults earlier in the year, and spent a lot of time, money, and effort trying to keep them in our wood.Between 8 guns, with two good dogs, we saw 5, and managed to shoot 3. I ended up blasting squirrel dreys just to get a shot. Driving home about 1-30 we saw hundreds of woodies pouring into a rape field. I don't know who owns the field, but believe me by tomorrow I will have found out. Heads up fellas, the good times are yet to come.

MAJ, sorry to hear about your bad day on the pheasants!, I've been there myself.If you have only recently started up the shoot, or are having problems holding birds (think you might be!), PM me with your phone number,I'll be happy to try to give you some advice (If you want it,that is. ;)

On Saturday, I was beating, & had an early start & a late finish,so I was pretty tired on Saturday night. I made a couple of calls during the day & arranged to go to one of the local farms on Sunday morning. The farmer had said he was going to ring me later, because he had a problem with the pigeons on his rape. I was at the farm at 8 the next morning, & it was chucking it down! As I had'nt had time to observe the pigeons before hand,& I set up where he said. The first couple of hours were brilliant,There were pigeons flying everywhere. My shooting was'nt very good & I only managed to kill with the first shot, & did'nt get any left & rights.What I should have done, is moved to the next field, & sat with the wind behind me, rather than in my face. This would have meant that the rain would have been going over me, & not blowing straight into my glasses.I ended up with 40 something birds, & should have had many more..........one day I'll get it right...........just one thing..........there were a few pigeons shot on Saturday by the guns,& they were stuffed with berries.

;) Not long been home from a day on some local rape.Spotted hundreds of birds on a field next to one of our farms on Tues. and again yesterday.My mate had a days holiday today so we went to have a look.When we got there we saw several hundred milling around the field and in and out of the surrounding trees.Found the owner and after getting a long lecture of does and donts the farmers wife said O.K. We walked the birds off and set up on the same hedge with one rotor between us.To be honest we both expected that such a large flock would come in straightway,we would shoot at them,they would then show up once more and after a second round of shots at them they would be gone for good.Not a bit of it,they came in in small numbers steadily for 5 hours and we finished up with 87 and a crow.Both of us were way off form after a long layoff and the cartridge /kill ratio was not good(bloody awful in fact) Neverless a much better day than expected and the weather was good for a change. :)  :(

ernyha, that was a stroke of luck, getting permission on the day and then having some good shooting.

I wish our farmers (or their wives) were so obliging. ;)

I had a look round this morning, but there were still no birds on "my" rape.

I went clay shooting instead and on the way there, I saw large groups of pigeons crossing the motorway and going down on meadowland.

It can,t be the clover attracting them at this time of year, surely.

Cranfield,have found that getting permission on the day works better than trying to get permission in advance. The usual reply is that we have regular shooters but when we say "but they are not here today and several hundred pigeons are". This often works and this has got us many one off days shooting but like today ,it was made clear that we would have to ask again for any future days.

Went out for a couple of hours yesterday morning. I did'nt have to much time , so I set up where there were patches in the rape. I should have gone & looked at the flightlines the day before, but didn't have time, & paid for it yesterday. There were hundreds of pigeon around, but flighting down the other end of the field & dropping over the hedge, into the next field. I ended up with 15 or so, but if I'd managed to do my homework, it could have been alot more!.... ;)