Shooting over the holiday.

Cranfield

Did anybody get out, how did you get on ?

I had a couple of looks around, but never set up the decoys as there were insufficient birds to make it worthwhile.

Two reasonable late afternoons spent roost shooting, got me 6 and 9 pigeons respectively.

Unfortunately, I fired far more shots than I had kills.

The wind and rain made them difficult targets, but it was good sport while it lasted.

I also noticed buds on some of the bushes.  ;)

Where are the frosts ?

It will soon be Spring.

Had a good day on Saturday ;)

Used the pigeon magnet and 12 decoys (Dead Birds)

Set up at 9am, not a lot was happening and I was considering packing up and going home when at about 11.30 the birds started to appear.  I shot until 3pm and picked up 43 birds.

The magnet was what truely made the day!

Has anyone else been out.

;) Had a look round a couple of times but no pigeons on the rape. In fact they will need to develop webbed feet with the waterlogged state of the fields.Do pigeon eat rice plants as I am sure the farmers will be turning to this if these wet winters continue.All the fields near me would make perfect paddy fields at the moment. :evil:  :evil:

I went out today started at 8.15 walked around 2000 birds off not to see them again there were still a few pigeons flying around but no interest in the magnet or decoys, sat there for nearly four hours thinking it will pick up in a bit. shot 1 all mornning MAGIC . Try again next time

Did anybody get out, how did you get on ?

I had a couple of looks around, but never set up the decoys as there were insufficient birds to make it worthwhile.

Two reasonable late afternoons spent roost shooting, got me 6 and 9 pigeons respectively.

Unfortunately, I fired far more shots than I had kills.

The wind and rain made them difficult targets, but it was good sport while it lasted.

I also noticed buds on some of the bushes.  ;)

Where are the frosts ?

It will soon be Spring.

[quoteWent to a farm in Oxfordshire for Christmas and on Boxing day shot over rape fields with a home made magnet ie THE WIRLYGIG plus a few decoys,there was a flock of 200 flying aroud and managed to down 30 by 12.30.went back next day but they never returned.

Well, at least some of you found some pigeons. :)

In Kent at the moment, they are all donning their scuba outfits, to swim down and find the crops.  

Rain, rain and more.........rain. :(

Welcome, daviddjlloyd, did you make "The Wirlygig" ?

There have been a few people on here who have tried, but many have failed.

Congratulations to you, if you were successful. ;)

Didn't get out personally. We visted my parents who have just moved to a village near Diss on the Suffolk/Norfolk border. They live on a property at the end of the village backing onto farm land.

I was full of envy for the few days we were there. Some luck **** had the shooting over fresh cut sugar beet. They must have shot thousands of cartridges!!  ;) The guns never let up and there were woodies floating about everywhere.

Didn't get out personally. We visted my parents who have just moved to a village near Diss on the Suffolk/Norfolk border. They live on a property at the end of the village backing onto farm land.

I was full of envy for the few days we were there. Some luck **** had the shooting over fresh cut sugar beet. They must have shot thousands of cartridges!!  ;) The guns never let up and there were woodies floating about everywhere.

Guest flightline

Out three times over the break for naff all as pigeons would not decoy, not that there were many of them. This was Scotland and it only started to get cold there on New Year`s Day, with snow on the higher Borders roads. The magnet seemed to be putting off more birds than it attracted. They would come overr for a decko, but about 100 yards out would decide there was something fishy. It can`t be over-familiarity, as they are not a lot used in the Borders.

May we have a pic of the Whirlygig, please? :S

Guest flightline

Out three times over the break for naff all as pigeons would not decoy, not that there were many of them. This was Scotland and it only started to get cold there on New Year`s Day, with snow on the higher Borders roads. The magnet seemed to be putting off more birds than it attracted. They would come overr for a decko, but about 100 yards out would decide there was something fishy. It can`t be over-familiarity, as they are not a lot used in the Borders.

May we have a pic of the Whirlygig, please? :S