LR Discovery 4 Commercial

Doc Holliday

As the title says I'm looking for some info on the LR Disco 4 commercial. I've had 3 VW transporters and they have been very good (apart from being very expensive on the odd occaission they broke down). Anyway, I feel a change is in order and the Disco 4 seems to tick the boxes where home & work are concerned so would appreciate any info folk are able to give. I did do a search and there was one other topic on the Disco 4 in general which had mixed views, but please remember I am looking at the commercial model (there's probably no difference anyway). Have looked at websites but there doesn't seem to be that much in the way of inpartial reviews.

Also, what are your views on 4x4 manual or automatic? I've only ever driven manuals but are automatics any better for off road?

In the meantime, Happy New Year to everyone and have a most excellent evening, whatever you may be upto tomorrow.

ATB,

Doc.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Doc,

Trying driving a manual and an auto.

I had a Discovery in auto and hated it. It never seemed to have any power. I have driven Mungs manual Disco of the same age and towed my boat with it and its very acceptable as an everyday car.

I am very pro auto gearboxes, I loved my auto Merc but would be weary about buying another auto 4x4.

Mate of mine has a Disco 4 commercial, having had a disco 3 before that. No doubt the 4 is much better and he has the manual but another mate has the auto and the latter is definately better to drive. As in another post I bet the manual's eat clutches. He has had a copule of electrical problems including a failed handbrake - it is one of the new fangled electronic ones! and also the motor went on his boot release so he had to load his dogs in via the side door ;-(. All covered on warranty though. Servicing costs are high if you use a LR main dealer - £105/hr labour and he went through a set of discs and pads in about 30K miles but it does spend most of its time towing kubotas, quads and gators around so to be expected. I was impressed with how quiet the engine is and the interior build quality is as good as my Touareg. You do hear a few horror stories about the electrics on Land Rovers in general though.

Trust this helps.

Jon.

Some good advice as always. Seems like I'll have to try the manual and the auto to decide. I did hire a Range Rover Vogue to go to a wedding back in August and it was such a lovely drive. That was an auto. I went to a LR dealer to have a look the other day with the other half. They didn't have any commercials just the regular models. The other half turned round and said she didn't like it. "What's up with it?" I asked her. "It's not a Range Rover!" she said. :hmm: :hmm:

I can put it through the business and get all the tax relief, etc on it. Think I would struggle doing that with a RR. Anyway, who listens to their other half? :yes:

• 1 month later...
Dont bother buying one if you are a busy person, see my recent post, my LR3 is off the road in the garage more then on it, all electrical faults.Glad to see the back of mine. :good: Very costly mistake buying that.

Thought I would just up date on my lr3 saga. Landrover found the fault that left me three days over christmas with out a vehicle, fault, transmisson failure, air suspention failure, traction control failure.ebd failure. cause. Bit of corrosion on one of the rear brake light builbs. :lol:

Thought I would just up date on my lr3 saga. Landrover found the fault that left me three days over christmas with out a vehicle, fault, transmisson failure, air suspention failure, traction control failure.ebd failure. cause. Bit of corrosion on one of the rear brake light builbs. :good:

all at once?? :lol:

I think the general consensus is they are great when the work. If it was a work vehicle I'd be slightly wary of the propensity they seem to have for returning to the garage. Then again most of that is based on the Disco 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 was to follow suit.