Advice on cleaning Frequency of a .22LR for a newbie rifle owner

Hi all,

I am after some basic advice, I have just become the proud owner of my first .22LR, a CZ silhouette and I am not to sure on the frequency of cleaning the barrel.

When I picked up the gun from the RFD I bought 200 CCI s, I wanted some Eley subs but the RFD only had Winchesters or CCI s, so I bought a couple hundred CCIs. I have only put 45 bullets through her and she is absolutely filthy, the rifling looks more like a shot gun barrel after a good days shooting!!!! Should I put a brush through??? What kind of brush do people use??? Is it a case of basically clean the barrel when it is dirty......

Is it because the CCi are a "dirty" bullet ? I have also noticed that a few of the bullets seem to have quite crack on them not the quiet thwack that a moderated rifle should have, does this sound like a bad batch of bullets or just the norm???

Thanks in advance for your advice

I don't clean any of my rimfires,

My Anschutz .22 target rifle possibly gets cleaned once a year if it starts to be inaccurate other than that it is left well alone.

The outsides of the guns get wiped over with an oily rag.

Remember you can only ever have a clean barrel for 1 shot and it could affect your zero. I would leave it alone

I have to support the advice on cleaning already given. As for the noise level, if the moderator is new give it a little time to "carbon up" and you might find it quietens down a bit. Out of interest, I prefer to use Remington Subsonics rather than CCIs as they group well and are quite clean and quiet, but that's just my personal choice!

Have fun with your new gun mate! :good:

I'm very Religious about cleaning the rim fires. i clean them all the time with another round down the barrel. i pulled a bore snake though once and my gosh it took a bit to get it on the mark again so now they only get cleaned with another rounds.

Bolt gets stripped every week though as its a ten minute job to strip, wipe and put back together and a SAK mod gets done often as it cakes up quickly.

Phil

cci aren't very good in my opinion i bought 500 when i first got my gun and didn't find them that accurate and kept getting the odd stray, also didn't reckon much build wise a lot loose heads on them, i'm stuck with just over 400 winchester super x at the min which i want to swap for eley as my .22 preferes them but no one near me stocks them unfortunately

I was religious in my cleaning regime when I got my rimmie. I'd pull it through, strip, oil and clean all the working parts and reassemble. I'd then go out and miss everything before having to re-zero. To that end I only ever now give it a wipe over and clean the bolt. That's it. I'll probably never clean the bore again.

It depends on where you store your guns. Mine are in the loft and its cold and damp up there this time of year. Before putting away my .22 I don't clean it but I always put a squirt of WD40 down the bore to prevent rust then stand it muzzle down on a pad of rag inside the cabinet. I've done this for years and its been fine.