Fourtrak dash light problem

Windy

Any of you Fourtrak afficionados or mechanics able to shed some light? (see what I did there).

Having trouble with the dash illumination on my Fourtrak '94 (F78).

Basically, there is none, its gone.

Indicators, headlight/full beam and all other warning lights are OK. Just the basic dash illumination dead.

Started off by being a bit strange, ie when switcing the lights on, there would be a brief pause before the dash illumination came on. Then, a few days later, no light at all.

:oops:

Any help appreciated.

ps....I'm no sparky, so please keep it understandable for numpty.

Ta

after a bit of tinkering, removed dash cluster and checked bulbs were ok.

Did some more checks and realised my sidelights werent working, nor tail lights! So checked tail fuse and it was blown. So the sidelights must run off the tail light fuse, as there is no sidelight fuse marked. Also, someone on a different forum stated they thought the dash was run off the side light circuit.

soooo.....put another 15A fuse in the tail socket and hey presto the dash lights came on.......briefly, before the fuse blew! :oops:

So.....what the ******* is up with it?

Help!

possible some damaged wires in the system causing the fuses to blow, so if it is linked to the rear lights you may be able to kind somewhere that the insualation has been rubbed off, maybe where the wires possible enter the chassis or into the bulkhead, or possible water in the system,

only other way of testing is to get some new wire and do a re wire from rear lights straight to fuse box to see if that is actually the problem,

good luck, this is just general as i have never had a fourtrak,

took both rear clusters off and disconnected.

Put new fuse in.

Lights on.....side lights OK & dash illumination OK.

Gave all the connections a bit of a clean up and check over. Cant see anything obvious (apart from some interesting DIY on the off side cluster by previous owner, not sure why?)

Re connected near side cluster - all OK

Re connected off side connecter - all OK

Think I've got it!

Drive off and within a minute the fuse pops.

New fuse in when I get home....all OK.

So I sit and fiddle with all controls to mimic an average drive. On one occasion the near side indicator stuck on and shortly after the fuse blew.

New fuse and did same again.....fiddled with all controls and eventually near side indicator stuck on. switched lights off and which sorted it, but fuse didnt go this time.

:yes:

So have box of fuses in glove box and will see what happens.

I think I may have exhausted my electrical ability.

Any help very much appreciated!