Cheapest round for reloading

I dont know for sure without looking it up but I suspect the 204 uses more powder and has more expensive bullets as all bullets are getting pricey now but .224 ones are far more common. I dont think the 204 is a .22 variant off the top of my head, I think it is a .222 Magnum variant but I cant remember.

You are right fister, it uses a .222 magnum case, basically, small bullet, lots of powder, fast velocity.

However, moving at light speed doesant increase your killing power when you weigh nothing...its got a significant trajectory increase over other .22CF's though, the 22-250 comes close to it though.

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

My .17Ackley Hornet is cheap to load for, as was my .22 Hornet. The .222/.223 doesn't cost that much more. If you want something that will perform like the HMR then the Hornet is the answer in one form or another. The .223 is good but is a little big for what I wanted.

If you want it to be easy then as many others have said the .223 is good. Everything you need is easy to find and cheap and there's loads of second hand loading kit around.

i want a centerfire vermin rifle for the same price per round cost as 17hmr, i refuse to buy a 17hmr since im sure its a monopoly and £12 per box takes the ****

the only issue I'd have with this is its very different using a centrefire versus a rimfire, energy levels are massively higher and certainly takes eating the quarry out of the equation. Also even with the best moderator there is a big noise difference as well, you won't have 5 rabbits sit in the same field when using a .223 but you will with a .17

I use my .17 for bunny bashing and general vermin the .223 comes out for foxes and a bit of longer range vermin so cost isn't really an issue ammunition wise as you never use that much. My .17 ammo is still about £10 a box so not far off shotgun cartridge price and certainly the kill ratio is much better