How well did we shoot today? 2010 edition.

Anni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to squeeze in an hour or so's shooting in at Worsley this afternoon with Anni and Tony.

Shot a couple of rounds of skeet followed by a walk around the sporting stands picking and choosing the stands that looked most awkward (and were on). All good fun and good to be getting back into the habit of "practising" again :welcomeani:

Disgusting weather at Catton Hall, I always said I'd never shoot in the peeing rain again :good:

Good company though, but I think we were losing the will to live half way round when the rain got heavier and heavier :lol:

Mediocre scores on the doors :

Beretta - 85 :lol:

Mr Potter - 78 :good:

Chard - 72 :wub:

Maglad - 34 ish. Put a proper coat on next time :thanks:

Magman didn't shoot because he was "saving himself" :blink:

Shot some stands really well, others were a ******* joke :good:

Edited by Chard

65/100 at Gatton Bottom today - don't seem to be able to get out of the 60's lately :wub: In fact that's the lowest score i've hit at Gatton :good:

My score was so bad I hardly dare say it ...

ok, it was 54 :lol:

I WILL get my scores back up though, and with my 870 as well! It's a bit up and down, got 42/50 last week at Gatwick but they are very familiar targets so I dont set too much store on that. My 870 shoots pretty much straight, whereas to me all my other guns have shot high, meaning I've had to shoot a bit low. Still, its a long way from the 80+ scores I was getting 8 months ago :blink:

Oh well, onwards and upwards, nice to see you again mate :lol:

Disgusting weather at Catton Hall, I always said I'd never shoot in the peeing rain again :good:

Good company though, but I think we were losing the will to live half way round when the rain got heavier and heavier :lol:

Beretta - 85 :lol:

Mr Potter - 78 :blink:

Chard - 72 :wub:

Maglad - 34 ish. Put a proper coat on next time :thanks:

Yes the weather was awful, you know that drizzly type rain that soaks you through :good::good: It did feel alot colder than the 4 deg the thermometer said it was, especially whilst chin wagging at the end when my teeth were chattering. I don't think Chard feels the cold, it might be my memory is faulty but he seems to wear the same gear winter and summer!!

Don't think it was the weather that caused me to shoot badly but it might have been! Started well enough, just 5 birds away after 7 stands then from the remaining 7 stands I dropped 3 birds on 5 of them :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks: My mates reckoned I was missing in front and I probably was but the brain told me otherwise.

They had changed some targets today, the cherry picker was throwing a long L to R crosser instead of the usual driven bird but there were still a lot of birds that us regulars have shot many times before which only goes to prove I've not learnt very much in all those years.

It is true that Catton are not holding registered shoots this year at least. the main point of disagreement between the two parties is that of non CPSA shooters entering (as birds only). As the ground owner said the average of 50 shooters per competition he would have to turn away, each one still with their £25 in their wallets, are literally the difference between profit and loss. The CPSA need to start living in the real world or the number of registered sporting grounds will continue to diminish. They need to call an open meeting of sporting ground owners and spend 95% of the time listening.

A rather depressed Mr Potter

As the ground owner said the average of 50 shooters per competition he would have to turn away, each one still with their £25 in their wallets, are literally the difference between profit and loss. The CPSA need to start living in the real world or the number of registered sporting grounds will continue to diminish. They need to call an open meeting of sporting ground owners and spend 95% of the time listening.

A rather depressed Mr Potter

Make that 195% of the time listening and the other 5% saying yes - then some of the rest of us might consider CPSA once it stops being "elite only" for anything other than taking your money!!

D

Make that 195% of the time listening and the other 5% saying yes - then some of the rest of us might consider CPSA once it stops being "elite only" for anything other than taking your money!!

D

OK, so why can't the non CPSA members cough up the £3 or whatever for the day pass..?? :good:

The rules are quite clear, Registered shoots are for CPSA members only, anybody else is more than welcome to shoot, but they have to buy a day pass, there's nowt wrong with that, or am I missing the point here..??

Cat.

OK, so why can't the non CPSA members cough up the £3 or whatever for the day pass..?? :good:

The rules are quite clear, Registered shoots are for CPSA members only, anybody else is more than welcome to shoot, but they have to buy a day pass, there's nowt wrong with that, or am I missing the point here..??

Cat.

My guess but it's an educated guess is that they don't want to pay an extra £3 as they don't see what they are getting for it. I don't know what it's like down in your neck of the woods Cat but here in Cheshire we have lost, for a variety of reasons, nearly all the non registered 50 or 75 bird shoots, you must remember the type, mark your own card and a rolling classification system for those who wanted to shoot competition. It was the favoured hunting grounds for the local AAA shot(s) who could pick up a £40 or/ £50 HG prize for a relatively small outlay. They were also attended by the local pigeon/rough shooters who would bring exactly the number of carts as the shoot, they were the ones who only had one shot at singles that were FUG or cursed when there was a no-bird on the second of a report pair!! These are the shoots often described as straw bale shoots but I hesitate to use the term as it now is seen as a derogatory.

Anyhow, some of these shooter who now have fewer and fewer places to go, turn up at the local registered ground (OK lets call it Catton Hall) and want to shoot, they are not interested in the competition, well they want to beat their mate but that's all. The ground owner has already committed to paying his 14 markers their money and if those guys are the ones that turn a loss making day into a profitable one you, as a ground owner would be mad to turn them away.

Actually I don't think CH is a very good example to use as they do seem to have a general disregard for the CPSA rules, I've never seen a master card in all the years I've been going there and the standard of marking is generally very poor (you would be so far wide of the mark if you thought of them as referees) but they are issues that could be addressed but the "problem" of non CPSA members shooting will not go away at that particular ground. Up here in the frozen North there is a long list of grounds that either don't hold regular registered shoots or don't hold them at all. They all seem to be doing OK with a large base of practice shooters, club type memberships and the ubiquitous corporate market.

This problem of fewer and fewer registered grounds is a Sporting problem, you don't get casual, clubman, whatever term you want to use, tarp or skeet shooters, they all seem to want to shoot competition and accept that CPSA membership is a prerequisite. We of higher intelligence who shoot Sporting are in the vast majority and, perhaps unfortunately, the majority of them aren't interested in registered competitions. Once you have got over the issue of insurance by the production of BASC, CA, NGO card or the purchase of a day's cover what is the problem with non CPSA members shooting the same course as members?

To finish, the CPSA are making this a black & white issue these are the rules if you don't like them, tough **** you're out. It's a vicious downward spiral, I heard 2 people today saying if CH isn't registered anymore they won't bother renewing their CPSA membership. The CPSA should be listening to their customers, both us shooters and perhaps more importantly in this case, the sporting ground owners. Within a 50 miles radius of me there are Catton Hall, Worsley Grange, Blackpool Sporting Clays. Kelbrook, Coniston even our beloved Hodnet that either have given up registered shoots or only hold occasional championships, surely a couple of hours interview with the ground owners, collecting and rationalising their opinions and views and then coming to some common understanding should result in winning some of them back. If this malaise spreads to more than the North West the CPSA will end up being just for the trap & skeet brigade and I'm not having a lobotomy for anyone.

Andy

Edited by Mr Potter

Cat.

I wondered that too. The chap at Catton kept emphasising that he wasn't going to turn away the 50 or so non CPSA members who turned up wanting to shoot the registered comps, but he made no mention of charging them the £3 :good:

I still think it's a bit scary that the CPSA don't want to see that if they keep deregistering every ground in the country, things are going to start getting a bit thin :lol::P:lol:

Beretta - 85 :P

Mr Potter - 78 :hmm:

Chard - 72 :good:

Maglad - 34 ish. Put a proper coat on next time :P

Magman didn't shoot because he was "saving himself" :ermm:

Shot some stands really well, others were a ******* joke :lol:

No Anni today? :look: :lol:

I wondered that too. The chap at Catton kept emphasising that he wasn't going to turn away the 50 or so non CPSA members who turned up wanting to shoot the registered comps, but he made no mention of charging them the £3 :good:

I still think it's a bit scary that the CPSA don't want to see that if they keep deregistering every ground in the country, things are going to start getting a bit thin :good::lol::lol:

I asked at Catton about the day ticket and the cluman membership (shoot at only one nominated ground) which would seem an ideal solution. He definately thought that an individual can only use the day ticket once and have to join up if you try a 2nd time but he seemed 100% certain that these (non CPSA members) wouldn't put their hands in their pockets for any reason.

Mr P

I asked at Catton about the day ticket and the cluman membership (shoot at only one nominated ground) which would seem an ideal solution. He definately thought that an individual can only use the day ticket once and have to join up if you try a 2nd time but he seemed 100% certain that these (non CPSA members) wouldn't put their hands in their pockets for any reason.

Mr P

New to me :good: How would any ground know if you had bought one before? I imagine there would be some issue with disclosing personal details of non-members to individual grounds, it's not as though they have membership numbers... :good: