Best 4X4 for under a grand ?

shawi72uk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

went from Angus area where i live down to just outside newcastle for a ford maverick for a grand from a guy off of the hunting life....couldnt find anything half decent up here believe it or not at the time

brilliant motor and would have another any day of the week

sauer

I had the 2.2 Ecotec diesel Frontera - checked consumption twice - 38 mpg and 39 mpg. I got rid when it had 102,000 miles on it. Engine still mint, rest of vehicle was fine. Big mistake - should have kept it.

Thanks Gordon R

That's better than I get out of my 2.2 eco Vectra, best is hi 20's combined.

Edited by Red 9R

I have a 93 2.0 Frontera sport (SWB)

Cost me £293.00 from eBay... with 114k, T&T. - Probably "the" best lamping truck going (none of this leaning out of windows rubbish) as it has a removable roof, with enough room for shooter and lamp man...

Never been stuck, and was superb in the snow.

I've owned it 6 months and put 6k on it , and it now appears the head gasket has gone...

That said... I've been so impressed with it, I'm having it fixed by a mate of NickBeardo's :good:

Can't wait to have it back.

Edited by garyb

at a guess you've feet akin to a ballet dancer if you're getting that from a 2.2 petrol frontera :big_boss:

In fairness you do get good MPG from a Frontera....

.....on the back of a tow truck :hmm::good:

• 4 years later...

THREAD REVIVAL

I'm now looking for another 4x4 for under 1000. Basically i bought a Freelander 1.8 petrol that has been Ok but getting fed up with it since need a bit more ground clearnce and considering a Disco 300tdi or Paj 2.5 or Trooper 3.1 but at that price will be rust buckets and not the best MPG.

But never thought about the Frontera 2.2D since was told to avoid since if the fuel pump dies there too expensive to repair?

I bought a 97 5 door Rav 4.1 with 140k on it for under a grand

I was looking for something to get across fields to collect deer, so I didn't have to drag them all the way back to the road and trash my road car in the process.

Certainly wasn't what I had in mind when I started looking, but it came with proper off road tyres I haven't got it stuck (yet)

"Does what it says on the tin" :good:

IMAG1538 (Small).jpg

LWB 2.2 Frontera, never gets stuck 16" 275 all terrain tyres doesn`t mind being upto the doors in mud and water mine is 98k miles on a P and cost me £995 in good condition.

I was going to say that never had one but going by what I have seen they are good sturdy trucks and I think not to complicated to repair if something should go wrong people say that they are old fashioned and they may well be rite but for going to work and going a bit of off road work who cares they get the job done I would go for one if anything happened to my Jeep.

another vote for the grand vitara,with the right tyres it WILL go anywhere,ive tried to get stuck on purpose,but cant,it goes through anything its driven at,love it!!

Shame you weren't in front of me when I got my truck stuck last year. I could have watched you sink instead.

glad to see there are still some or ex fronty owners out there.

I,ve got a 3.1 trooper , does about 25mpg

also

have a 2.2 tdi 02 plate frontera and that does 38mpg average

good thing about the frontera is that it as the same running gear as a trooper ie very very good off road

not for everyone i know but dont overlook the cheapy shogun pinin's, bought one for £350 a couple of weeks ago and so far its been perfect for my work/runabout/shooting wagon, its averaging 30 mpg and, like a boss, it even managed to pull out an l200 that had sunk in a flooded field whilst lamping t'other night...........oh how we laughed in the cheap corner :lol: :lol: