Best 4X4 for under a grand ?

shawi72uk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what ever you go for I would opt for Japeneese , I have had Landies , Cossack ,Subaru , Disco and lastly a Pajero , mechanicaly I have found the jap 4x4 the best ,rust can be a problem however if they not looked after underneath and they do suffer with electrical faults , my last one kept showing diff lock not engaged even when it was .,

i miss my fronty, was one of the best motors i ever bought.

went anywhere, cost very little, cheap to repair, didn;t care if it got scratched, amazing for lamping.

the only downside was fuel economy, but as a dedicated shooting truck, that didn't matter.

+1,agree totally with all the above :good:

Lamping is now very poor since we both got landy and have to lean out window,missing more rabbits and shotgun is no no.Had general grabbers on mine and it went anywhere and never got stuck,leave in 2nd gear and it crawled through slop on its own at 0 mph on the speedo.

The problem with buying a 4*4 for £1k is that the last owner has probably got rid because it's got something major wrong with it, or they can't afford to run it - which means they've probably been skimping on maintenance.

You might be lucky, of course. But at that price, assume something big and expensive is about to go bang.

Must admit I'm beginning to wonder since I've repaired most things on the Freelander just put up with it since better the devil you know I suppose. Since if I buy another cheap 4x4 I could be in for more problems :sad1:

Edited by Ian.S