Feral pigeons

I recieved a phone call last night from a farmer who had just been given my number from a friend. He asked me if i could go down to his farm and control the feral pigeons around his grain stores with my air rifle he said there is betwwen 75-125 around constantly but before i go. i want to know will i be braking the law by shooting these as most of them are racers gone wild, or are they classed as vermin once they land as i have been told.  ;)  :)

One obvious thing to do, is make sure there are no pigeon owners in the area.

If there are, they should be warned (by the Farmer) to keep their birds in, when the shooting is to take place.

I remember a farm worker friend, who shot 3 white "doves" on drilled wheat, whilst being paid to protect the crop by his boss, the Farmer.

The birds owner contacted the Police, the whole matter rumbled around for a while and then was quietly dropped.

I think it just pays to use common sense.

I've had similar problems in the past,thee are a number of pigeon fancers in the area and a lot of ferels on different farms,this is why i'm never to keen on shooting them over decoys with a shotgun as its very easy to make a large hole in someones pride and joy flock :*) .The above advice is therefore good advice,even if they dont agree and kick up you can atleast say that they were warned in advance.The other thing that i'm allways watchful of ishouses/footpaths overlooking the area in which you are shooting in,its very easy for people to get the wrong idea and in areas where tied cottages in and around farms used to be rented to farm workers have now been sold to people who arnt as wise as they may think  problems can arrise.It therefore goes without saying that any shot birds need to be disposed of with a bit of thought,this includes getting them off roofs where they are visable ;)

Thanx for the advice i will probably do most of the shooting inside the barns as the farmyard is in full view of a road and the canal footpath as far as i now there was one person who kept pigeons in the area but stopped keeping them about a year ago because he got to old.  ;)  :)

• 2 weeks later...

All I can find on the subject is that that it an offence to knowingly shoot a racing pigeon.  If you do shoot any by accident, you are supposed to take the rings to a racing club so that they can be accounted for.

If they are racing pigeons gone wild, their owners won't be too bothered about them anymore as they are of no use to them.

;)

On the rare occasion I have shot a racer when it came into the decoys with woodies I have noticed that the rings looked well worn and have got the impression that they have been living wild for sometime.

Remember reading a letter in S/Gun some while back on the subject and a pigeon fancier stated that if his pigeons could find time to feed on farmers crops,they needed shooting.

Where do all the Ferals go in the Winter...;)

There are thousands around on the Autumn stubbles, but they disappear completely in the Winter.

Perhaps they migrate to warmer climes...:)

When they are around, I prefer not to shoot them, unless i'm bored and the barrels need warming up, as the sight of a few ferals wheeling around over the deeks will often attract a woodie from far off.  :(