Which dog ?

Guest rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

Folks, have just has a call from the shoot captain and tomorrows duck shoot is off because we have no one with a dog for retrieving, so I have made my mind up to get a dog,

I have been considering getting another dog for a while now and this has made my mind up as I was really looking forward to tomorrow.

Question is, I havnt got a clue what to go for,what age etc .I havnt a lot of spare cash (read as next to none at the moment) and would sooner get one thats a year or 2 old and has had some training.

This will be my first working dog as my 3 other dogs I have had where English Bull Terriers.

Your thoughts please. :good:

Under the circumstances you describe it might not be a good thing to get a dog right now. You are likely to need spare cash for the circumstances that crop up when you own dogs.

Agree and also nobody sells or gives away a good dog at two years old unless its for alot of money.

The sort of dog you talk about would fetch a grand min if you bought it from a pro trainer.

But if you go for it I still dont think you can beat a lab for day to day living and shooting.

Regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Guest rimotu66
Under the circumstances you describe it might not be a good thing to get a dog right now. You are likely to need spare cash for the circumstances that crop up when you own dogs.

Reading my question again, you would be quite right Poacher, but what I meant by not a lot of cash at the mo was that I didnt want to spend 100's and 100's of £'s on a kc registered dog from a money driven breeder. If/when I do get a dog it will be insured as all my other dogs have been so there care is not in question.

The main reason for the thread was that I was unsure what breed to get, should of made it clearer , spaniel or lab ? It will be used for retrieving on driven pheasant shoots and duck shoots so will need to swim :good:

I dont mind taking on a dog that is 1 to 4 years old that has been partly trained, it would also be a family (adult,no kids) dog so will have pride of place in front of the log fire. :good:

Reading my question again, you would be quite right Poacher, but what I meant by not a lot of cash at the mo was that I didnt want to spend 100's and 100's of £'s on a kc registered dog from a money driven breeder. If/when I do get a dog it will be insured as all my other dogs have been so there care is not in question.

The main reason for the thread was that I was unsure what breed to get, should of made it clearer , spaniel or lab ? It will be used for retrieving on driven pheasant shoots and duck shoots so will need to swim :good:

I dont mind taking on a dog that is 1 to 4 years old that has been partly trained, it would also be a family (adult,no kids) dog so will have pride of place in front of the log fire. :good:

Have you seen the cracking spainel in the other sale forum side £550

Regards OTH

Agree and also nobody sells or gives away a good dog at two years old unless its for alot of money.

The sort of dog you talk about would fetch a grand min if you bought it from a pro trainer.

But if you go for it I still dont think you can beat a lab for day to day living and shooting.

Regards OTH

Not always true i got a 14 month old cocker the other day that will return a dummy to hand and wait to be sent on for £600 and has got 14ftch and 4ftw in its pedigree and is from a good working man who is a loader and picker up by proffesion however as you say a fully trained dog from most trainers would be 2k in this neck of the woods best of luck. Now as for breed, i have wanted a cocker for a few years so had to get one :good:

go for the breeb you prefer both can be excellent working dogs but even if you get a dog that is 1 year plus it will still require hard training and time for it to get used to you. it is all based on your personal prefrance and what youlike to look for in a dog.

Guest rimotu66

Chris, your right but I like Labs and Spaniels, a couple of guns on the shoot have them and to watch them work is nearly as good for me as the shooting...well theres certainly no rush so we will see.

Guest rimotu66

George, nice tip thanks, I dont know any triallers, is there any that you can point my way? I would not want an older dog though so anything from 1 to 4 would be my ideal. As Ive already said the dog I decide to get will be for picking up pheasant and duck, must be ok with water and will mainly be living in the house.

It will also be exercised by myself and my partner but only worked by me.

Does anyone else know any triallers in my area 100 mile radius preferred?

George, nice tip thanks, I dont know any triallers, is there any that you can point my way? I would not want an older dog though so anything from 1 to 4 would be my ideal. As Ive already said the dog I decide to get will be for picking up pheasant and duck, must be ok with water and will mainly be living in the house.

It will also be exercised by myself and my partner but only worked by me.

Does anyone else know any triallers in my area 100 mile radius preferred?

Sounds like a Lab would do the job for you. Not as nuts as a springer, and great at picking up + they love water :rolleyes: Also great family dogs. Everyone loves mine lol.

also get your name down on a springer or lab rescue group and tell them you are looking for a working dog and they cost tupence i have my name down on three and i have a pup wich i bought at 8 weeks old but would take one on if they ring me.

if you are gunna be shooting pigeons from a hide aswell and regulary then i would opt for a lab as they are more steady but if you are gunna do more rough then go for a springer as they dont tier as quick and are hard workers. it mainly what you prefer though i went for my springer due to the fact this one now is a house pet and shooting companion and springers are gentle natured and i have been brought up with them. go on what you like in a dog and what you mainly using him or her for.

take your time aswell as i wouldnt shoot over it for a season till your completly happy with the dog and he used to you.

i wish you the best of succses in your search and if i come across any dogs resonably priced and partly trainned i will pm you i know some one who bought a part trained dog and it is a awsome worker so will ask for the guys number if he has it.

good luck matey. :good:

Guest rimotu66

Thanks again Chris, Ive done a bit of googling and do think a Lab would suit me best but my Mrs likes Vizla's Am looking through the 'dog finder' type sites. Still havnt ruled out a Spaniel yet and as I said theres no rush but would like to get one ready for next season. Thanks for the offer of a pm, that woudl be great if anything comes up.

Cheers.

also look in the loot that were i got my pup from. i have mine in the lounge with me now and as said he is a springer and understand why they suit that name for the breed as he has just pranced about on a mad one but listens to evry word i tell him and for 5 month old is rather obedient even consider a pup pal i am a chef and so time is a issue sometimes but i look at the outcome and what i will hopefuly have at the end of it.

there is no better feeling then trainning your pup to work so dont throw getting a pup out the window it takes longer but well worth the wait and time spent.

he might be 5 months now but i want shoot over him till 2011 maybe earlier if he proves to have some promise then maybe earlier. but consider a pup it feals better. if the misses likes a visla have a look at pointers as well. let me know how your search goes.

Guest rimotu66

Whats the Loot Chris?

I havnt ruled out a pup but given my lack of experiance with working dogs I thought I would be better with one that has had at least the basic training. As I said, no real rush as I dont want to make a mistake. :good:

you dont have the loot paper in grimsby? it is a news paper but instead of news it is full of second hand and unwanted appliances as well as dogs and all sorts of stuff.

they do have a website. google it.

this is my first pup that i am trainning up myself and the only help i have had is books and dvd's. and when i first watched one of the dvd's i realised i had made so many mistakes and made some notes to revise with and i am glad i did. from 8 weeks to 6 month you only have to get them to know the sit command coming to there name and the odd retrieve and just play with him and that it till 6 month and then do a bit more trainning all good dvd's will help you and put you in the right direction. it is well and truelly worth it.

Guest rimotu66

Thanks Chris, we have a similar paper here (Yellow paper I think) so I'll go and have a look. If I do go down the pup route, I'll get some training and get some dvd's as you suggest.. :blink:

no pros or cons both good dogs jules i have my favourite dog and rimotu said he wanted a springer or a lab. but both springers and cockers are loopy and good workers if trainned and reared right. i like the look of a springer more then that of a cocker and was brought up with them so i would pick a springer over a cocker or lab any day.

Only trouble you might have for a little while if you do get a kenneled gun dog of age is when you bring it in the house. If you get a dog you'll have to watch him like a hawk as he'll cock his leg to scent straight away and you may find that a good gun dog will take awhile to settle with you as they will have a great bond with their last owner until you get a good bond going and he realises that you're now his master and the kennel is no more. Takes a bit for them to adjust you just have to be patient with them and realise you're taking them out their comfort zone into the house and giving them more attention then they will have had their entire lives (with most cockers you'll find them slowly creeping up on you until your wearing them around your neck if you don't set down the groundrules in the house) And also be prepared for some ridiculous casting due to the central heating they really do need a cool spot in the house with the radiator left off. In my opinion if you get a trained gun dog you really need to spend a lot of time with its owner finding out the dogs temperment and exactly what commands its been trained too and start working on that bond right away and make sure you're getting results before you head out with it.

I've just had a 6 year old cocker with me for the last three months was an absolute joy to have because he'd been trained properly but unfortunately the girlfriend became horribly allergic due to the casting so he went back to the kennel to finish the season off shame I couldn't have returned her and kept him. Hope she doesn't come on here :blink: