Which dog ?

Guest rimotu66

I'm in a similar position and have opted for the lab. Mostly because pigeon decoying makes up the bulk of my shooting and partly because from what i have seen on shoot days a lab can be nearly as good as a spaniel for flushing game. a good working dog i know has sired a littter and i will be seeing the dam soon. assuming i like what i see i will be able to get one of the pups.

All the advice i got was to make sure whatever you get is from working lines and don't feel pressured into rushing into a decision. Get that right and any mistakes will be down to me not the dog.

Now just to make sure i don't make a mess of the training.

Guest rimotu66

Great advice guys, no probs with central heating as mine hasnt worked for 2 years, Ive got a log burner and open fire but the rest of the house is a tad drafty at over 100 years old,I also already have a kennel and run in the garden as the guy I bought the house off had 2 gun dogs. :blink:

Totaly agree with not been rushed, ive already turned 2 Labs down as things where not just how I wanted, nothing inparticular just wasnt 100% for me... On with the search. :good:

And also be prepared for some ridiculous casting due to the central heating they really do need a cool spot in the house with the radiator left off.

You should see my dogs. They are either hugging the Rayburn or spread out infront of the woodburner. I have a fireguard to stop the dog burning his nose. The house is 500 years old and very cold so I dont blame him really.

Harry

You should see my dogs. They are either hugging the Rayburn or spread out infront of the woodburner. I have a fireguard to stop the dog burning his nose. The house is 500 years old and very cold so I dont blame him really.

Harry

;) same here.....my GSP feels the cold very bad, we constantly have to watch her as she'll sit nigh on in the fire if we let her. She now sports a purpose made fleecy jumper on colder nights otherwise she looks pathetic....curled up, shivering in a ball trying to keep warm once the heating goes off, she is one happy mutt now, bless her.

Guest rimotu66
:rolleyes: same here.....my GSP feels the cold very bad, we constantly have to watch her as she'll sit nigh on in the fire if we let her. She now sports a purpose made fleecy jumper on colder nights otherwise she looks pathetic....curled up, shivering in a ball trying to keep warm once the heating goes off, she is one happy mutt now, bless her.

Ive just got to hide this from the Mrs, she will be knitting all sorts of woolys if she sees this.. :hmm:

You should see my dogs. They are either hugging the Rayburn or spread out infront of the woodburner. I have a fireguard to stop the dog burning his nose.

Haha mine was brought in from being kennelled outside so struggled with the wifes sauna like temperatures in the house. In fact I struggle with the heat in here she sits wrapped up warm while I sweat it out. British Gas must love us

either way what you pick is your choice either a pup or partially trainned dog of 1-4 year old will still need trainning and hard work so either way you are putting lots of time and effort into the dog. with a pup it will take a little longer but worth it it even a partly trainned dog may not be ready for the following season best is go for a pup get some dvd's and if unsure get a few lessons or nip down to a a gun dog trainning group and watch and see what they do and copy it. pick wisely.

Guest rimotu66
either way what you pick is your choice either a pup or partially trainned dog of 1-4 year old will still need trainning and hard work so either way you are putting lots of time and effort into the dog. with a pup it will take a little longer but worth it it even a partly trainned dog may not be ready for the following season best is go for a pup get some dvd's and if unsure get a few lessons or nip down to a a gun dog trainning group and watch and see what they do and copy it. pick wisely.

Wise words again Chris, I am aware and prepared of the time I need to put in and have thought of finding a local school to go to for training (for both me and the dog) As I have said, I am a novice to gundogs but am realy looking forward to the challenge.I realise I do not have to be as dominant as I had to be with my old English Bull Terriers but am aware that there is a lot of hard work ahead.

Guest rimotu66

So I've decided its to be a Lab dog up to 2 1/2 years old, part trained. Am really looking for a localish dog so I can spend some time with its owner and hopefully get some tips/help from them. It will be for a peg dog and hopefully will mark well and retrieve. Am looking at having the dog ready for next season.

So whats out there guys?