A pheasant recipe-help me!

Guest Callum.

Guest Callum.

Hi.

I'm 14 so whatever recipe you suggest can't be too hard!

But we normally have pheasant with our roast dinner so I thought,i'll give my mum a break and cook for her on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The pheasant will be hung for a week or so (or has been,however you want to put it).

But i'd like a tasty easy to make recipe that is different to just roast dinner,I want a change!

Thanks in advance :good:

Callum.

pheasant breast with philapdelphia and wrapped in parma ham

pheasant breast skinned

philadelphia

salt n pepper

parma ham or cheaper equivalent

take pheasant breasts and make small holes / slits and push in some philadelpiha

season with salt n pepper

wrap with parma ham or similar

20 minutes ish @ 200 degrees C

mmmmmmmmm

sauer

My current favorite, and will be knocking a batch up later from some Boxing day fezzies that are ready.

1. Breast and slice into goujons / medallions. Dip in flower and fry / brown off.

2. Knock up a veg base - use leeks not onions (more subtle). Usual do of mushrooms, carrots, celery - anything veggiesque.

3. Add a couple of lamb's kidneys - slice, dice and brown off again. In fact add any spare meat in the fridge - this morning I have spied a chicken breast going spare so that's going in.

4. Wang the whole lot into a ramakin, add a stock (give it a swish round the pans you have been using)

5. stick into the oven for an hour on a low heat like a caserole.

6. Remove, leave to cool and then add short crust pastry top (puff will do if you happen to be from Suffolk or that way inclined).

You can then freeze the whole batch and heat them up individually as required - (unfrozen) decentish heat for 25 mins

Serve with chip shop chips and lots of ketchup.

Sounds like a bit of work, but it's not. Especially if you can get your missus to do it for you - back of the net :yes:

pheasant breast with philapdelphia and wrapped in parma ham

pheasant breast skinned

philadelphia

salt n pepper

parma ham or cheaper equivalent

take pheasant breasts and make small holes / slits and push in some philadelpiha

season with salt n pepper

wrap with parma ham or similar

20 minutes ish @ 200 degrees C

Same as, just use haggis or black pud !

.....or if you are adventurous, a mix of goats cheese and herbs. The breasts wrapped in finely sliced chorizo.

Take a pheasant breast per person. Down the side of the breast you'll find a little pocket. Stuff that with the heart and liver, herbs and butter. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the breasts then put them in an oven bag so they are all the same way up and seal leaving as little air in as possible. Put the pheasant breasts in a baking tray wedged in with mushrooms so that they are bone side up, meat side down. Put a pin ***** in the top of the bag to let steam escape. Place in an oven pre-heated to 200C for ten minutes, then reduce heat to 150C and cook for a further 40 minutes.

Remove tray from oven and cut a small hole in the bag so the juices run out into the tray and soak the mushrooms. Rest the breasts for ten minutes while the mushrooms are soaking in the juices in the cooling oven.

Same as, just use haggis or black pud !

.....or if you are adventurous, a mix of goats cheese and herbs. The breasts wrapped in finely sliced chorizo.

chorizo !!!!! why didnt think o that before!!!!:good:?

mmmmmm

have to try that when i get home....jist as well a few pheazys in the freezer

sauer

If, like me, you're not a big fan of gamey tastes then I messed around with a recipe last night from a couple of pheasants I got on Saturday and was extremely pleased with the results.

De-breast the pheasants. Take a sharp knife and cut a pocket in each breast. Mix a good measure of thyme into softened butter and stuff into the pocket. Wrap the whole thing with bacon. Fry to seal, then pop into the oven to cook through. Very easy, tastes great, and he thyme really cuts through the gamey taste.

Can highly recommend it. :rolleyes:

Snipe.

i really dont find pheasant gamey....

always give some breasts to friends or neighbours try to get em converted to game... do my bit to push country sports and its "ideals"

they always reply ...." ooohhh aint it awfully gamey or too strong ?"

i usually only hang my pheasants till next day then rip them sometimes a couple o days if im busy and weather is cool.

but ****** this hanging em till the head falls off caper or they are "high".

if you dont like "strong" game then just hang em till next day see if that helps.

i find pheasant this way nos stronger than chicken but with a better flavour....not "strong"

sauer

To be honest Sauer I have always found them 'gamey' no matter how long I keep/hang them for. Perhaps that's just my delicate/refined palate then! :good:

Top bit of meat, though, and nice to see the full process of 'kill it-cook it-eat it' through from start to finish!

Snipe.