Hull Intercomp HV 28g 9's vs Comp X 21g 9's

JonD

Hi,

I have been shooting Intercomp 28g 9's on the skeet for a while and have confidence in them, however with the cost of cartridges ever increasing i'm debating trying the Comp X 21g 9's.

I know they are quite a lot slower, the Intercomp are 1400fps but don't think the speed at close range will alter the lead much. I shot a couple of rounds with express 21g 7.5's at the weekend and scored the same as i did with the Intercomp's.

As the cost difference is nearly £40 on a thou is it worth it? in real terms thats another 8 practice rounds a month.

I love the Intercomps but now i'm shooting 700-1000 a month the cost saving looks appealing.

In my inexperienced mind, close up as skeet is so long as i put the pattern in the right place i'm going to break the clay.

I look forward to your opinions.

Cheers,

Jon.

i quite like the 21 gram loads and to be honest im the same as you, didnt notice any difference in my scores.....

the price does make them attractive.....

i was using the 21g eley......when im finished with the last 500 intercomp 24g ive got im going to use the 21 white gold xlr....£120 odd a 1000 up here

shaun

I find the 21g Comp X a fantastic little cartridge and are Ideal for skeet. :good:

The real advantage with them on skeet is on the pairs because the recoil is non existent so you can pick up the second bird that much earlier. :yes:

Never under estimate the 21g Comp X, you do so at your peril. :)

I use them for all my tuition, sporting/skeet/trap and even some FITASC. I just use the right chokes. :lol:

A very serious little cartridge, just forget the 21 gram bit. :lol:

If you really want to mix it up a bit try some Gamebore Super Steel Comp 28g 9's :good:

30% more shot in the air, stick them through cylinder chokes but be prepared for a bit more recoil. Not sure of the price as i haven't used them for a while, but they certainly do the business :yes:

If you really want to mix it up a bit try some Gamebore Super Steel Comp 28g 9's :good:

30% more shot in the air, stick them through cylinder chokes but be prepared for a bit more recoil. Not sure of the price as i haven't used them for a while, but they certainly do the business :yes:

S s s ste.. sorry can't say the word because I might get banned.

OH, sorry, just realised i'm on PW and can say the s word lol :) I'll try a slab of them too :lol:

Jon.

Where are you ordering from mate, I also need carts, and so does t'other half for the 20 bore...

I just txt'd you the details.

I have just ordered some of the 21g Comp X, according to Hull's site they are running at 1425 ft\s which is faster than the InterComp, i'm sure they used to be 1050\1100 ish.

Jon.

I have just ordered some of the 21g Comp X, according to Hull's site they are running at 1425 ft\s which is faster than the InterComp, i'm sure they used to be 1050\1100 ish.

Jon.

Don't get hung up on the speed of a cartridge, I used to use Express World cup @ 1500FPS and have since changed back to Express Pro Comps which are 1400fps and have noticed better breaks and lighter on the shoulder.

Jon.

Jon

would be interested where u r ordering from & price, etc.... as I need to order some more - have always used Comp X 21g 7.5 for sporting.

am running out, but the last 2 times I have bought, I got them at west kent shooting school when they had a deal on... last time was around 5 months ago, when they were doing them at £108 per 1000 which was a steal (regret not having bought more!)... now they are selling at £130-odd per 1000.

Previous cheapest I had found prior to West kent was essex gun at £117 per 1000.... but that was around 8 months ago!

have looked a bit on the net, but not found any cheapish deals. so if anyone finds anything on comp X .... I will buy a chunk - 5000-10,000.

Jon

Not the cheapest I know but as my local dealer quoted me the best part of a month before they get more in I didn't have much choice apart from using them or paying £4.50 a box at my club :blink:

Jon.

fair point....

have struggled to find anything cheaper than in the £130's anyway, so may have to bite the bullet myself!

Jon

Cheers,

I'll check them out for my next batch, mind you Just Cartridges have had my order for a week tomorrow and can't dispatch anything due to the weather.

Hope the get shipped soon, using my last 100 for an ESK regd this morning :good:

32g 6's would be overkill and expensive lol, but they are all i have now.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Have you shot the 21g yet, they are a lovely little load. They refer to them as a square load, so in the chamber (in terms of shot) there are as wide as they are tall, this leads to the pattern 'punching above it's weight' you may need to fire the top barrel first to ensure enogh recoil to reset the mechinism for the next shot.

Good luck on the registered, is that Bisley?

G