Show some compassion

Fisherman Mike

I would urge you all to show a bit of compassion <_< in the next few weeks while this cold snap is enveloping us all.

With the temeratures plumetting to -6 and below and snow covering all greenery pigeon will be dying in their 100,s of thousands up and down the country

If its anything like the last big freeze in the mid 80,s ( and there is every chance it will be) pigeon numbers could be hit massively to the extent that certain areas will see a serious decline in pigeon numbers in the next few seasons.

It may be good for crop protection but if you want to preserve your sport in hard shot areas show a bit of restraint and compassion for your quarry.

Plus if you dont get out for a few weeks you will enjoy your shooting trip all the more, i can guarrantee it ;)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would urge you all to show a bit of compassion <_< in the next few weeks while this cold snap is enveloping us all.

With the temeratures plumetting to -6 and below and snow covering all greenery pigeon will be dying in their 100,s of thousands up and down the country

If its anything like the last big freeze in the mid 80,s ( and there is every chance it will be) pigeon numbers could be hit massively to the extent that certain areas will see a serious decline in pigeon numbers in the next few seasons.

It may be good for crop protection but if you want to preserve your sport in hard shot areas show a bit of restraint and compassion for your quarry.

Plus if you dont get out for a few weeks you will enjoy your shooting trip all the more, i can guarrantee it ;)

Glad I am not the only one feeling this way I spoke off my concern in threads like the thin pigeons one.

To be shot down in flames even by a mod who should know better.

I had a big shoot planned for friday as we have no snow in oxfordshire and I will be canceled if we get the forcasted snow.

And will go piking instead to give the birds a rest.

All the best OTH

I posted on a similar topic a couple of years ago with a story relating to my Grandfather when he was alive.

I was about 14 and he was in his 90,s we were shooting pigeons in field of brassicas, may have been sprouts I cant remember, but it had been bitterly cold for a few weeks with snow covering almost every bit of greenery.

The poor birds were coming in to the field in their droves even before we had the chance to put out any decoys. The shooting was so easy we got fed up very quickly and those we shot were in a sorry state, as thin on the breast as christmas turkey on boxingday.

Gramp was a veteran of two world wars and saw active service with Gloucestershire Royal Hussars in Gallipolli.....he likened the pitiful sight of the desperate pigeons to the folly of the British troops at the Somme, throwing themselves on the enemy guns. The birds had had enough and so had we so We packed up very early and didnt go out again for 3 months until the spring drillings. The fields we shot which he said over the last 20 years had provided plenty of pigeon were all but void of the birds for 3 or 4 years.

Pigeon numbers have increased to the levels they have in recent years purely because of the availability of winter rape, now that its covered the natural harvest of Ivy and other berries will not support the millions of birds unused to this cold weather.

I am confident in saying that if conditions like this continue for longer than a 6 week spell we could easily lose 60 - 70 % of the current population of pigeon, and if its anything like 63.. 95 % of the Kingfisher population as well. It probably takes less than 10 days for a birds weight to diminish to the extent that it cant fight off the freezing temperatures.

I get a copuple of Woodies in the garden all year round but today there were no less than 14 on or around my two bird tables fighting for the peanuts I put out for them.

Populations will recover of course but it takes time.

Also if you do feed garden birds dont forget the most important thing ....water.

Couldn't agree more.There were people on here last night saying

well done to Rizzini for shooting a snipe that he had flushed out

from where it was sheltering.Allowing pheasant shooting to continue

is still disturbing our wildlife when they need time to forage.

A personal view.

Very thought provoking Mike. I know all bird species suffer to some degree in the cold, do you think any others will be hit as hard or is it just pigeons who are so vulnerable, due to their dependence on winter rape?

All insectivores are at risk Dave, luckily wild bird feeding is a multi million pound industry so common species will get much help.

The finch species will suffer, particularly birds like yellow hammer, buntings and linnets.

Even winter visitors like fieldfare and redwing are suffering and being forced into gardens for food, I remember in 83-84 my cat was picking up and bringing home, frozen half dead redwing and fieldfare at about 5 a week!

BOP particularly kestrel will be struggling along with most of our resident owl species.

Glad I am not the only one feeling this way I spoke off my concern in threads like the thin pigeons one.

I had a big shoot planned for friday as we have no snow in oxfordshire and I will be canceled if we get the forcasted snow.

All the best OTH

As the only Moderator that posted on the "Thin Birds" thread, you must be referring to my post.

Go back and read it, I stated there were no excessively thin birds in my part of Kent.

We have had no where near the snow that the Midlands and North have had and I am stating a fact.

If there were distressed birds in an area I would not be encouraging people to shoot them.

All the best OTH

Does seem like no one can disagree with you without you spitting your dummy out.

As the only Moderator that posted on the "Thin Birds" thread, you must be referring to my post.

Go back and read it, I stated there were no excessively thin birds in my part of Kent.

We have had no where near the snow that the Midlands and North have had and I am stating a fact.

If there were distressed birds in an area I would not be encouraging people to shoot them.

But I was right in thinking you thought that the current weather was far from being hard on pigeons and that we would not be having weather as hard as in the 60s when you and my dad use to find birds dead under the once great elms.

I looked at the weather forcast and said we would all have to be careful about bird condition and as the thread starter in own admission the birds where thin.

So just thought I would highlight what could be future for the birds and it seems my fears might have some truth.

Looking at the next ten days forecast.

And well done fisherman mike your post is the best I have read on the forum.

Hope some take you advice Oth

Edited by Over the hill

the birds where I shoot are in great condition and many of them are very fat. They have been hitting our rape hard down on the farm but they are also still eating berries and acorns and so far I have not seen or hered of any birds dieing because of the cold. But it is your choice wether to shoot them or not and in some ways I dont blame you but until I see them struggling I am going to keep at them to protect our crops.

The fact is, they will lose condition very quickly if we get prolonged snow cover, I remember those cold winters we had back in the 80's, also the really bad Winter we had in '62, (vaguely :rolleyes: ), when it started snowing on Boxing Day and didn't thaw until Good Friday, that was a real Winter. :hmm:

I remember watching Pigeons feeding on a field of Kale, the farmer came out with his old S/S Hammer Gun and let off both barrels at the vast flocks, it was amazing, they didn't budge, they were simply exhausted and starving, and literally didn't have the energy to move.

I even thought he felt a bit sorry for them too, as he went back to the Farmhouse and left them to it.

Cat.

I prepare to be shot down in flames but if there is a sever lack of food, pigeons remain vermin AND they are starving the KINDEST thing we can do is reduce their numbers.

There will then be more food available for the remaining birds.

I can't see putting guns away and letting them starve to death is in any way humane.

(For the record I don't shoot pigeons!)

What I like about this thread is that it is a good reminder for shooters to think before they go out. There are vast numbers of pigeons here and very little snow all winter. They are feeding very well as the farmer reminds me often!!!!! I will watch the birds very carefully and check their condition. Thanks FMike :rolleyes:

i was out today shooting pigeons on the request of farmer who has hundreds of pigeons plagueing his rape fields, some are covered but the patches poking though are getting stripped bare ,the birds i shot were still good condition and had berries ect in crops,the problem with showing compassion is it might well cost you your shooting rights if your not doing your job theres plenty that will fill ya boots. :rolleyes:

I prepare to be shot down in flames but if there is a sever lack of food, pigeons remain vermin AND they are starving the KINDEST thing we can do is reduce their numbers.

There will then be more food available for the remaining birds.

I can't see putting guns away and letting them starve to death is in any way humane.

i was out today shooting pigeons on the request of farmer who has hundreds of pigeons plagueing his rape fields, some are covered but the patches poking though are getting stripped bare ,the birds i shot were still good condition and had berries ect in crops,the problem with showing compassion is it might well cost you your shooting rights if your not doing your job theres plenty that will fill ya boots. :rolleyes:

My thoughts, entirely.

Leaving pigeons alone so that numbers build up for a good bag, is not protecting crops, it's just greed.

Have a thought for your benefactors!

Would you refrain from killing a pigeon or a rabbit that was destroying your garden vegetables?

I do not shoot pigeons when conditions are as they are now. firstly game dealers are not going to take underweight birds from you , so you have to eat them yourself or bury them, and i for one dont like killing pigeons just to bury them.

Secondly pigeons are one of natures survivors, they will find pheasant feeders , garden bird table , so given a chance and not chased from any green stuff that still shows itself, a great many will survive.

Winter oilseed rape that has taken a hammering will recover come spring when it starts growing again.

Hitman.

My thoughts, entirely.

Leaving pigeons alone so that numbers build up for a good bag, is not protecting crops, it's just greed.

Have a thought for your benefactors!

Would you refrain from killing a pigeon or a rabbit that was destroying your garden vegetables?

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion, but its not at all about letting numbers build up for a good bag as they will actually be dying in their thousands. :hmm:

If a pigeon or rabbit was destroying my garden vegetables I would put a net over them as its illegal to let off a fire arm in a residential area :hmm:

Im sure most of us have a sense of good sportsmanship but sadly there are some on the forum who feel the need to kill pigeons weekly until the last one is destroyed and I find that extremely saddening.

Cheers FM

IMO it rather depends on whether you class pigeons as vermin :hmm: or sporting birds :hmm: . Personally I think you'd have to be one calous old *** to perceive them solely as vermin when they're probably (with the possible exception of grouse or teal) the finest of sporting quarry. When there's so much snow the damage they can do to buried crops such as rape is minimal but if they are hitting an area hard then they should be shot but in moderation purely as a control.

Having said that; there's likely to be a ban on shooting wildfowl in England on/by this w/e which is a shame when in sunny Suffolk the ground is not frozen hard and the ponds at least on the coastal areas are free of ice AND we have a lot of snipe and woodcock about. Nevertheless we'll observe any ban as all responsible shooters should.

i was out today shooting pigeons on the request of farmer who has hundreds of pigeons plagueing his rape fields, some are covered but the patches poking though are getting stripped bare ,the birds i shot were still good condition and had berries ect in crops,the problem with showing compassion is it might well cost you your shooting rights if your not doing your job theres plenty that will fill ya boots. :hmm:

I have the same issues!!! both rabbits and pigeons decimating some fields, these are bloody hard times for the wild life, but the Farmer want them gone, its simple economics, he planted them to make money to live, not feed the wild life, last year he lost 4 fields to predation and he's not going too this year!!! its damn hard balancing emotions over needs, He already has spent a small fortune on gas for his gas guns and rope bangers this comes off the bottom line of his bank balance for him!!! and as quoted, if I dont do it someone else will and ILL lose my shoot.!!!

Alan

PS

The ground round here is solid and has been for a while

Edited by Alanl50

Farmers rarely spend a fortune on anything but the bad ones do waste a lot. Putting out gas guns and leaving them in the same place all season is about a much use as a chocolate teapot. Hanging banger ropes has about as much effect unless they are used in conjunction with a shoot day. Used properly and with the right intelligent effort put in pigeons can be controlled without decemating the population, an extreme word given the current population but what serious hunter would wish to see the last one shot?

In southern europe they'll boast about shooting the one and only woodcock or turtle dove they've seen all season. Do we really want such a situation here in the UK?