Show some compassion

Fisherman Mike

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys please do explain the general licence to me? and im assuming you all have one? do you need one to shoot pheasants out of trees at night?

yes we all have a general licence and no for pheasant out of trees at night you have to apply for the special catapult and low powered air pistol licence

nick

This thread is straying off the original subject.

The General Licence has been discussed many times on here and there are loads of threads in the "Search" facility, there have also been some good links posted on this thread, its best to have a good look at them and understand the subject before trying to debate, or argue it.

ok guys please do explain the general licence to me? and im assuming you all have one? do you need one to shoot pheasants out of trees at night?

dont know about night (because we worked out most night shooting over here is illegal) but as far as i know here in Northern Ireland you still need a game licence from the post office for pheasants

anyway you may want to read that website a bit more closely, especially the links for northern ireland, which, when you click on, gives you the general licences and the reasons you may or may not shoot pigeons and all the other birds listed on them.

you may think some of my methods are unsporting, but at least theyre legal :yes: stop digging now mate, for your own good :good:

digging-a-hole.jpg

Edited by babbyc1000

BM.

Just quickly to clarify a point - you don't physically own a general license. What happens is that you are shooting within the terms of the general license issued by DEFRA which has a list of pest species (amended according to new species or old species numbers). Either you shoot the birds on the GL citing reasons specified within the GL - health, crop damage etc or the birds are protected under another piece of legislation and it is illegal to shoot them.

Roost shooting, along with decoying, flight-lining etc are all legitimate methods of reducing numbers of pigeons from feeding in the crop fields below.

The main point of this thread, and high time we got back to it, is that in some areas where conditions have been consistently harsh shooters may want to think about restraint until the thaw. The wildfowling ban is in place in Scotland and NI and is likely to be announced Monday/Tuesday next week in England and Wales...

In a nutshell, where would Elma Fudd be without bugs bunny/daffy duck?

Jon

Edited by JONO

I can't believe the nonsense some people are posting on a public forum... what idiots!!! For example, 'pigeon shooting does nothing for pest control' or 'we should all stop because there has been a bit of snow'. I don't know about some of the people on this site, but when I shoot a field, I shoot it till the birds stop coming, and very few of them leave with a full belly (including the missed ones). So, I invite you to tell the farmer that the pigeons currently hitting his winter greens should be left alone. Or that my shooting them isn't protecting his crop. What a load of C**P. Now, I can't speak for crop protection in England (and we don't have much rape here), but I can tell you something about Northern Ireland. If I didn't shoot them I would soon find few more boys stuck in the hedge amongst the potatoes or greens who would happily oblige the farmer. Perhaps I should also not go out this morning and shoot the sheds that are currently black with crows?:good: just let them go and hope the man in charge can live with the situation or that he doesn't ask some one else to do it?

Hi Dr D

I always like to think that others who have diffrent views are just that diffrent rather than idiots.

Some times my views differ on this very forum and a constructive disscussion can happen.

A bit of snow I dont know if in N ireland but in oxfordshire minus 17.7 last night more of the same to come.

All green stuff locked away only berrys to feast on at the moment ivy berrys will be gone by the end of the day in my garden 45 pigeons on a single hedge as I write.

As by your own addmission you cant talk for crop protection in england this thread was started in england in ref to pigeon condition in england.

I think fisherman mike makes good points and some areas birds are suffering .

If I lossed some shooting because somebody was willing to shot any animal that was hungray due to weather condtions then I will be only to glad as my morales will be intacted.

I have shot vast numbers of pigeons upto nov this year and will do again but only when the birds are fit and fat not mooching desprate with hungar .

All the best OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Seen an old fox the other day on a farm,really thin in vary bed condition due to the weather and it not feeding regularly, but decided not to shoot it yet, will wait until its fit and healthy. :good:

Mark

Saw a massive dog charile today in the snow going like the clappers accross open snow .

Could not really see conditon but looked fit and strong.

All the best OTH

A bit off topic but after another weird Pm by benelli montefel am I the only lucky one who gets PMs so often from him.

Is Benellimelody your brother or related to to in anyway I maybe wrong just asking.

Just a obervation as you would put it.

Kind regards OTH

To add to this post Benellimelody has Pm and I have spoken to him I am sorry to compare you to the other benelli who seems to be one troubled guy.

All the very best OTH

Edited by Over the hill

A bit off topic but after another weird Pm by benelli montefel am I the only lucky one who gets PMs so often from him.

Is Benellimelody your brother or related to to in anyway I maybe wrong just asking.

Just a obervation as you would put it.

Kind regards OTH

I can assure you mate - not related in any way

Seen an old fox the other day on a farm,really thin in vary bed condition due to the weather and it not feeding regularly, but decided not to shoot it yet, will wait until its fit and healthy. :good:

i saw a few rabbits with myxi the other day, thought i would leave them incase they get better, they can have a good feed on the crops, then i will go and shoot em :yes:

i saw a few rabbits with myxi the other day, thought i would leave them incase they get better, they can have a good feed on the crops, then i will go and shoot em :good:

I'm hoping you're joking but have no idea due to some of the views on here these days

BM.

Just quickly to clarify a point - you don't physically own a general license. What happens is that you are shooting within the terms of the general license issued by DEFRA which has a list of pest species (amended according to new species or old species numbers). Either you shoot the birds on the GL citing reasons specified within the GL - health, crop damage etc or the birds are protected under another piece of legislation and it is illegal to shoot them.

Roost shooting, along with decoying, flight-lining etc are all legitimate methods of reducing numbers of pigeons from feeding in the crop fields below.

The main point of this thread, and high time we got back to it, is that in some areas where conditions have been consistently harsh shooters may want to think about restraint until the thaw. The wildfowling ban is in place in Scotland and NI and is likely to be announced Monday/Tuesday next week in England and Wales...

Jon

Why are you talking about wildfowling being baned ? they are not on the GL apart from Canada G's they don't breed anywhere near the numbers Woodies do and ther are no where near the same numbers. Just because there is a ban on wildfowl dosen't mean there should be a ban on woodies.

Woodies are on GL because they are a pest, i don't know of any other way of shooting them apart from on the GL which may be wrong as they could be classed as game. But as far as i know you can only shoot them on the GL, if you now choose to leave them alone and show a bit of compassion and preserve your shoot then we should loose them on GL as we are no longer shooting them as a pest but as sport.

Maybe i should put all my Rat traps away as they are finding it hard at the moment, yes they are a pest but show a little compassion :yes: .

We shoot woodies as a pest and its just nice that there meat is tasty and we can sell them to a Game dealer but that is just a lucky biproduct from something that needs to be reduced in great numbers, and a bird that could become a plague.

If we leave these poor birds alone so they dont have a bad time then there numbers will increase ten fold, the GL is for us to reduce there numbers, not show compassion, don't you get it.

PELTMAN :good:

Peltman...

Why are you talking about wildfowling being baned ? they are not on the GL apart from Canada G's they don't breed anywhere near the numbers Woodies do and ther are no where near the same numbers. Just because there is a ban on wildfowl dosen't mean there should be a ban on woodies.

Please refer to my Elmer Fudd comment - thanks.

Jon

Edited by JONO

the general licence allows us to shoot pigeons all year round ,and as a service to the farmer we try to protect his crops from damage due to pigeons, hey i can be only in one field at a time shooting pigeons :ie three fields with pigeon feeding at the same time i cant shoot them all !! i lose some win some!!!!!! :good: