Freelanders

Mungler

The wife is looking for a new motor and a Freelander could be on the list.

My understanding is that the early ones were poo and the recent ones are okay? But how recent is okay?

Also, what's the one to go for?

Anyone had one for +1 year and able to give a first hand view?

Bought my freelander 3 1/2 years ago from new , no problems at all. It's driven quite hard and managed 60,000 miles on it's original set of tyres. I'm the only thing moving on my lane at the moment, everything else seems to be going sideways.I'm on 70,000 miles now and when it has it's service it will probably need new pads and discs, but apart from that no worries at all. It's a diesel td4. from Auntie. :hmm:

Look for a Freelander 2 which is '06 onwards.....I think. I really like mine and my missus/daughter find it very easy to drive, light clutch/steering etc with a good view of the road ahead. I get approx 34mpg from mine mixed but in the summer it usually hovers around 37/38mpg. Excellent ride quality and comfort, loads of room, not too expensive to tax, high quality materials inside etc and mine has been without a single issue in 13k miles. I don't think you need to worry about reliability issues with these any more, it's esentially a Ford with a well proven Peugeot/Ford engine in it, (now been bought by Tata)? It will go most places any other 4x4 will go to :hmm: I realise there are fans of the older model but they simply don't compare with the new car in any way, (not intended as offence btw). I think if you/your wife test drive one you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Any other questions send PM and i'll help all I can.

Bought my freelander 3 1/2 years ago from new , no problems at all. It's driven quite hard and managed 60,000 miles on it's original set of tyres. I'm the only thing moving on my lane at the moment, everything else seems to be going sideways.I'm on 70,000 miles now and when it has it's service it will probably need new pads and discs, but apart from that no worries at all. It's a diesel td4. from Auntie. :hmm:

Drove my daughter to work this morning at 8.30, into the centre of Bristol....we saw very few cars on the way and those we did were stuck or about to be. I have drove about 100 miles today on some pretty 'orrible roads without a problem :hmm:

I drive a 2008 Freelander 2 van and do quite love it. I rarely get much over 30mpg on country lanes but I am getting around nicely, including through 8 inches of snow, no bother. Best I managed was 35mpg on a good run with most of my gear out the back.

Quiet and fast on motorways when I eventually get to them. First time on the A1 I was in the fast lane, looked down and was doing 95mph and it didn't feel fast.

They are a great car, competent enough for a rough road or bit of snow yet fast and comfortable for longer journeys.

Have you been out for a boozy lunch ? :yp: You told me to avoid them like the plague when I was looking for a 4x4. :lol:

Steve Elston just got rid of his '04 plate Gaylander as it was starting to go wrong.

Toyota RAV4 all the way... :) Apart from servicing, we have only had a battery and some brake pads on ours in 4 years... :D

Isnt Pavman getting rid of his Gaylander ?

Edited by ME

Have you been out for a boozy lunch ? :yp: You told me to avoid them like the plague when I was looking for a 4x4. :P

Steve Elston just got rid of his '04 plate Gaylander as it was starting to go wrong.

Toyota RAV4 all the way... :D Apart from servicing, we have only had a battery and some brake pads on ours in 4 years... B)

Isnt Pavman getting rid of his Gaylander ?

Rav4.............do me a lemon :)

FL1 with a TD4 engine, DON'T go for the 1.8 petrol,the FL2 is not as agricultural but a good bit of kit and we don't have many faults with them :lol:

Rav4.............do me a lemon :)

FL1 with a TD4 engine, DON'T go for the 1.8 petrol,the FL2 is not as agricultural but a good bit of kit and we don't have many faults with them :lol:

The RAV4 is my missus, same as Mung is looking for a car for his missus. :yp:

You cant compare the reliability of a Land Rover to a Toyota.

Freelanders are nasty and plasticy inside too.

Oh I'm sorry,thought Mung was asking about Freelanders....my mistake :yp:

Ask any question on here and it'll get onto something else, that's the unfortunate nature of an internet forum. Once you get a few more than 117 posts under your belt you'll get more relaxed about it.

If Mung needs help getting a thread back on topic I am sure as a highly respected and qualified local solicitor he is capable of doing that by himself. I would also like to think that as we have known each other for 20 years that if he didnt like something he would use the PM system - rather than needing your help. :)

Mung advised me to not buy a Freelander about 6 months ago and get something Japanese. I took this advice and bought a Shogun.

I am therefore recommending that he follows his own advice and buys something Japanese.

i got a 2001 freelander td4,use it for shooting ,bait collectin and fishing,done 40 od thou in 1 year,flown mot,only ever bought tyres,window mechanism and drive belt in 2 years,solid machine imho,engine bomb proof,gets about fields,and in snow no problem,been out playing in snow around valleys ,no probs,would buy another. :yp:

i got a 2001 freelander td4,use it for shooting ,bait collectin and fishing,done 40 od thou in 1 year,flown mot,only ever bought tyres,window mechanism and drive belt in 2 years,solid machine imho,engine bomb proof,gets about fields,and in snow no problem,been out playing in snow around valleys ,no probs,would buy another. :yes:

i can agree with codling99 as i have been with him on some rought old ground whilst out shooting :good: cheers HH

I wouldn't ever consider a Freelander 1, I have never heard anyone ever say a nice thing about them; apart from expressions of relief when the vehicle was sold / stolen / written off / given away.

My interest was in the later model only because they seemed cheap to buy second hand but the reviews seemed to say "much improved or much better than the last one" which isn't that helpful.

The budget would be £10k (could go to £12k for the right car though - well let me rephrase that to "for a Subaru Forester Turbo"):

Subaru Forester (Turbo) - only because on the rare occasion I would drive it at least it would be fun.

Honda CRV - got a client selling one cheap

Hyundai whatever - (the accountant in me option) only because they have long warranties and don't seem to break

Toyota Rav4 - ME has had loads and none of them have ever caused him any grief

Freelander - cheap and a big hit with the local mums

I could add the Nissan do-dah onto the list, but that's as about as exciting at the Hyundai option but with a shorter warranty.

Discuss.

EDIT:

The car will be to replace something which is currently doing 14 to 16 mpg, so economy is not even on the list because whatever I chose it's gonna be a massive improvement

Edited by Mungler

The car will be to replace something which is currently doing 14 to 16 mpg, so economy is not even on the list because whatever I chose it's gonna be a massive improvement

I know where there is a nice Jeep Cherokee ! :good:

Why not ask Tony if you can take his Forester out for a drive to get a feel for them ? Having had a 4x4 I bet that Mrs Mung wont want to go back to a normal car

ride height. Mrs ME likes the feeling of being up high so she can see what she is hitting !

It's got to be the Honda or Toyota or Nissan X Trail for re-sale value.

Wait for all the "you cant get pigeon gear in a Nissan or you cant drive across a field in a Honda" - THIS IS FOR MUNGS MISSUS TO DO THE SCHOOL RUN....

Edited by ME

I drive a Honda CRV 2.2 CdTi ( 06 plate ) the old Model.

Plenty of and (I mean Plenty) of Torque

Quick... 0 - 60 in 10.2 Leaves the Freelanders standing.

Frugal... I average 43 in all driving and on the motorway Ive had better than 55 on a long drive.

Sustainable... Co2 emissions 177

Reliable.... Consistantly in the top 5

Suprisingly good off road, I have all terrain tyres and it hasnt had a problem in this weather at all

All in all a great package, plus probabaly the best deisel engine of its size in the last 15 years.

Unless they have improved reliabilty issues with the freelander its a big no no for me. Even my mate who is a landrover salesman chose something else for his CC.

Ask any question on here and it'll get onto something else, that's the unfortunate nature of an internet forum. Once you get a few more than 117 posts under your belt you'll get more relaxed about it.

If Mung needs help getting a thread back on topic I am sure as a highly respected and qualified local solicitor he is capable of doing that by himself. I would also like to think that as we have known each other for 20 years that if he didnt like something he would use the PM system - rather than needing your help. :hmm:

Mung advised me to not buy a Freelander about 6 months ago and get something Japanese. I took this advice and bought a Shogun.

I am therefore recommending that he follows his own advice and buys something Japanese.

What ever..... :good: ....but the Freelander advice stands, the early FL2's are coming out of warranty and due for MOT's now.

Gonna make 'em a bit cheaper <_<