Freelanders

Mungler

That survey is flippin brilliant. Look what I said about how people "review" the latest Freelander and then read this:

The best-rated European car is the latest version of Land Rover's Freelander, the previous version of which fared badly in Warranty Direct's survey. It scored 66, with average repair costs pegged at £370.

Warranty Direct's Duncan McClure Fisher said: "It's promising to see improvement from Land Rover's flagship model, but it's telling that the bottom 10 is dominated by European cars and the top of the list populated largely by Japanese vehicles, which still hold sway overall.

So the latest Freelander is better than the last one and best of the badly performing European 4x4's.

ROFLMAO

Edited by Mungler

When my mate was trying to flog his, every dealer he spoke to was asking whether he had the head done - Would think that may well be a problem!!

Yep agree with this. I had a Freelander I 1.8 petrol. Nothing but probs and eventually the head gasket went. A mate had the same engine in an MGF and the same thing happend.

Had both a Freelander and a Hyundddddiiii Tucson....the Tucson was by far the better car..not over pretty but was very good off road for a soft roader , lots of creature comforts as standard and build quality was much much better , felt really solid and proved it when my wife had a head on crash ..other people were cut out ..she had a small bruise from the air bag ..fireman said he bought one as he had seen a few Hyundddiiis in crashes and they always did well ...not an important point untill your about to have a crash ...the whole car felt good and nimble , fuel was a tad off at 32mpg but it had a lot of poke for a 4X4 and was very comfy to driver any distance in .

My Free was a early mark 1 ...a collectors car...as you walk behind it collecting the parts that fall off...it was good off road though but felt very old/dated compared to the Tucson.

I now drive a Ford Ranger......only because the dogs stink so much though and I cant smell them in the truck part

Edited by PWD

Go for it Mung, they are a good second hand buy as long as you buy a well specced diesel but if you follow your buying criteria of one owner low miles full history you should get a car you can run for a few years and hold its value well. The plus points are they are far quicker than a disco in general driving economy is a lot better so if you borrow it for shooting forrays further a field it will be ideal.

Wife's got 1 year old Freelander 2 and she loves it. Had 2 before but they weren't so good infact first freelander was ****, underpowered, blew head gasget - very poor indeed but the latest Freelanders are a differnt thing all together much better - and great in current conditions.

Edited by Bigweed

just to clarify and mungler is already aware of this but guys hes talking bout the FREELANDER2 NOT THE ORIGINAL

fancy one of the new uns myself

wife has the x-trail and its surprising where it goes , get 38mpg no probs and its full o toys and leather and a bloody comfy drive

i got an auld ford maverick for my shooting and love it

what prices are the 1st of the freelander 2's coming in at then?

sauer

• 4 weeks later...
That survey is flippin brilliant. Look what I said about how people "review" the latest Freelander and then read this:

The best-rated European car is the latest version of Land Rover's Freelander, the previous version of which fared badly in Warranty Direct's survey. It scored 66, with average repair costs pegged at £370.

Warranty Direct's Duncan McClure Fisher said: "It's promising to see improvement from Land Rover's flagship model, but it's telling that the bottom 10 is dominated by European cars and the top of the list populated largely by Japanese vehicles, which still hold sway overall.

So the latest Freelander is better than the last one and best of the badly performing European 4x4's.

ROFLMAO

BUT STILL NOT AS GOOD AS A JAPANESE CAR

When my mate was trying to flog his, every dealer he spoke to was asking whether he had the head done - Would think that may well be a problem!!
THE EARLY PETROL CARS HAD THE K SERIES ROVER ENGINE WHICH WAS **** THE HEADS USE TO COME LOOSE DUE TO THE STRETCH IN THE EXTRA LONG BULTS THAT WENT THROUGH THE ENGINE RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM AND HELD THE CRANK CARRIERS IN PLACE :blink:WHEN THEY CAME LOOSE THE HEAD COULD VIBRATE AND WOULD WEAR THE PLASTIC DOWELS AND THE HEAD GASKET BURN RINGS WOULD THEN BE ABLE TO WEAR RINGS ROUND THE BURN CHAMBERS ON THE CYLINDER HEAD AND SHAFTED THE HEAD.SOME YOU COULD HAVE SKIMMED BUT OTHERS WERE JUST TOO DEEP AND ENDED UP WITH A NEW CYLINDER HEAD.AS YOU CAN GUESS I DID A FAIR FEW.