killing Foxes

There was even a question earlier today about 'Thumb or finger' for turning a scope mounted torch on ~ if he can't work that out for himself and need others to guide him, then i suggest perhaps he needs more help than just an internet forum :good:

Your observation is harsh but true, i find myself nodding in quite approval :yes:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for aslong as its legal,my ticket says im allowed,this forum and its mods dont warn or ask me not to post graphic pics,i will continue to shoot foxes,pigeons,rabbits etc for aslong as i can walk.all edible things i kill are eaten by me or friends and neighbours,foxes are disposed of .iv e never knocked anyone for not wanting to kill animals of any type,so please dont knock people who like/want to,for what ever reason they got.if i told my farms i dont like shooting poor ickle foxes ,id be selling quite a few grands worth of guns by now,and be sitting watching autumn watch.each to their own mate,live n let live so to speak. :good:

OK Stuart - perhaps the insult was a little harsh and has been removed from the bottom of my post

Fair play to you Sir,

when I was an apprentice they sent me for a can of I D 10 T and told me to write it down so i did not forget :good:

Edited by pavman

i still don't get what this thread has to do with Status Quo... awful band in my opinion and should be dealt with sharply using a 55grain head aerator.

The Queen likes them :yes:

I bet she shoots Foxes :good:

Edited by pavman

Fair play to you Sir,

when I was an apprentice they sent me for a can of I D 10 T and told me to write it down so i did not forget :good:

I still think he is one Pav - but rather than the thread be closed the edit is aired on the side of caution :yes:

Edited by monkeymagic1969

We control foxes for the landowners and also for the protection of the Pheasants on our syndicate. I also go out hunting and shooting them with my cousin and his pack of hounds; however all the cover we hunt is on sheep farms and the farmers are more than happy to see the foxes controlled for when lambing time comes round. I put a voluntary ban on myself after lambing time and don't shoot another fox until usually September when we re-set the snares on the Pheasant Syndicate.

]

As I get older and softer, I feel I need reassurance and more information as to why you guys so persecute our only large predator, the Fox. I can understand how years ago, in the age of allotments and when everybody had a few chickens and geese in their back yard to feed the family, that the Fox was a pest. Not so now I dont think, now every body gets their meat in a polystyrene tray from Tesco or whatever local shed/wharehouse they use.

As this is a public worlwide forum/web site, here is your oportunity to tell the world why it is so. Why is the Fox so vehemently persecuted in our country? A beautiful creature it is, and so often this has been shown with pictures on this site. A skilled natural predator, and adaptor to circimstance, I have seen them feeding from the bins at our local Mc Donalds and roaming in the cities of this fabulous country of ours, it must be for food.

I do understand the need for Fox culling where livelihoods are involved, such as Pheasant rearing for shoots around the country, which employs thousands of people and Fox hunting with the hounds thingy, which this government has now made illegal. Shame on them. I just can not get my head round the way some members are so gunghoe in their posts, all stored in my PC should you wish to judge, about killing this beautiful predator.

Many times over the years my buddy and I have had this beautiful creature in our sights, but just could not pull the trigger. I suppose it is the odds against it that predetermines the outcome, beauty overcomes the beast in us. So all you guys who are killing Foxes around a shoot near you, fair play to you, but those of you who kill one just because it is there....Why?

Do please help to put us back on track. Be aware a shamble reason will be vigourously defended, for the Foxes sake you understand.

post-15797-1262898978.jpg

As you can see lambs now come in fox proof cellophane.

Of course foxes need controlling and if you don't want to then maybe you should not be allowed to eat the meat that I produce for the likes of you each year.

I do believe you may have the wrong hobby and you will have to forgive me but I don't think you should be questioning shooting foxes when you are a shooter yourself.

What is the difference between protecting the food we eat, and shooting a pheasant or the like for the table? Or for sale?

Oh and just for the record foxes do make a hell of a mess in corn fields too, they flatten areas beyond the reach of the combine header so there is loss there just the same as if they take a lamb.

I have shot foxes but then again I don't go out of my way to shoot them. I find the more I shoot anything the more I respect and am entranced by them. I love pigeons crows geese and so on. I read about them and watch their habits and shoot one or two every now and then. Seems contridictory I know but that's how it is for me!

Wow Jim , you have started an emotive subject here, and knowing you as I do will know that a lot was typed with your tongue in your cheek..It is true though that the Fox is an animal to be admired , notwithstanding that it also has to be controlled in areas where they cause financial loss... Fortunately where we shoot the Fox is not causing the farmers a problem so we dont feel the need to shoot the Fox...I have enjoyed seeing many in the fields , but should one of our farmers ask us to shoot them for a valid reason then I would.

Thank you all for your replies. The reason I asked this question, was because I too have been asked it, by voting adults, who probably had something to do with lobbying their local MP to stop the Fox Hunt. I have also been asked by local children, who often see me getting into my Land Rover when on my way out, or coming back from shooting.

After sitting in a hide watching a Fox for a while, especially in this adverse weather, I can't help but admire it. I know some bird watchers who have nothing to do with shooting, that do this.

I know little about Game and shoot a place where the Gamekeeper does not talk to the Pigeon Shooters, so only know about what happens on the Estate, from what I see, or hear from the farm hands. I was making no great secret revelation about burying net, only commenting on what I have observed.

The posts have been very informative and I now feel better informed to answer questions.It's good to hear that the Fox will never be hunted to extinction, an underlying fear I get from anti hunt/shoot people that I argue with in the local.

Most households now have a computer, so in future I will tell people and the local children to go on PW. and search for Foxes on there, where they can find all the answers they need. They will also get a balanced view.

So thanks for keeping your replies sensible and to the point.

The interesting thing Jim that you could also research is the same people and how they feel as urbanites when foxes are defacating on their lawns, emptying their bins and killing pet rabbits and chickens. Its funny how urban fox control is a fast growing business and the people wanting it done are the same ones who are against it being done in the countryside

We all know people will twist and turn things to try to best reflect what they want…

Stop the Hunt, stop killing Foxes, stop the crow bangers they don’t fit my ideological romantic view of the countryside peace and tranquillity blah blah

In some countries (USA Canada) if you try to stop a lawful activity of hunting (as antis do) you get hauled away by Police and righty so…

The UK is soft on crime soft on religion immigration the list is endless…….

I agree folk have a right to raise issues and question that which they don’t understand as in this thread,

One local Wildfowling club (Yarmouth) ran an open day for kids demonstrating working dogs and telling the truth about how food gets on the plate, its was very well received…

Its only when miss informed Kids get to be adults the problems start

• 3 weeks later...

As far as country people are concerned, a fox is a four-legged thief and a thief/burglar is a two-legged fox. Both species have to be controlled.

Without balancing controls, we would be over-run by opportunist predators, be they two-legged or four-legged, with or without wings.

Controlling corvids alone, will result in a huge increase in the small birds that they target.

If townees like foxes so much, why do they transport trapped ones for release in the countryside, usually on shooting estates, where they are promptly shot?

on our farm foxes poo all over the silage so cattle waste it, and have eaten most of the chickens. Not so bad, but being near town people are trapping them and releasing them into countryside, because they dont want to be responsible for killing them. In this case they must be controlled. I dont shoot them myself, but do support it.

cheers

sorry repeating what you said :oops:

Edited by eric parker

I shoot foxes where and when they may present myself or the landowner with a problem, otherwise it is live and let live.

Most gamekeepers I know are more than happy to have one or two on the shoot during the season, especially if the hunt are planning a visit. In most cases though once the hunt has been the it is open warfare until the following winter.