shooting hatch on a budget

ME

I am looking for a shooting hatch on a budget for a 4x4 that wont be used for anything apart from shooting.

I am thinking about an inspection cover (manhole oo-er) and frame ? The biggest I can find is 600 x 600 which isnt that big really.

What other options to cut a dirty great hole but be able to cover it if necessary ?

Friendly welder with time on his hands???

What's pavman doing on his days off?

Yeah, I can cut the hole and get something welded in. I just need to find a budget removable hatch. A bespoke option would be too expensive. I thought a

manhole / inspection cover would be a good option...

Edited by ME

My mate had a Shogun back in the 80's and he had a fabric webasto sun roof fitted above the back seats, two people could stand and shoot next to each other. He needed to use the Shogun on the road so this was the best option for him but not cheap I think.

I bought a Jeep Cherokee today. >SEE HERE<

If it does pass the MOT then I am using it for pulling my boat in and out of the water at Mersea

If it doesnt pass the MOT then I am cutting a dirty great hole in the roof and using it along side the other lamping truck as the luxury option.

If I do cut a dirty great hole in the roof it would be nice to find a kind of hatch to put in it to protect it from the weather and finish the sharp edges.

I thought a man hole (oo-er) or something like that might be the way forward.

I would like to hear of similar suggestions to a man hole. I have also looked into a loft hatch option.

What other square hatch type thing is relatively cheap that I can weld / stick in the hole ??

Phew...... :good:

Me you need to find someone who is half decent at fabrication, basically you need to cut the hole in the roof and frame it with some angled metal to create a re-inforced frame, this is pretty simple and if you use sealant under the angled metal and rivet it on it won't leak, this gives you a square hole with an upstanding lip that you can then make a top for. Flat spece of metal with the sides bent down and welded to fit over the top then just a few fixings to make sure it doesn't blow off if you drive with it on

I am looking for a shooting hatch on a budget for a 4x4 that wont be used for anything apart from shooting.

I am thinking about an inspection cover (manhole oo-er) and frame ? The biggest I can find is 600 x 600 which isnt that big really.

What other options to cut a dirty great hole but be able to cover it if necessary ?

Employ the services of a joinery design consultants and get them to design a solution for you. I am sure you know someone could come up with a practical solution for you :blush:

• 3 months later...