what do you think.....

fieldwanderer

All fallen through sofar - either gone or no response from the owner.

Been looking at a couple of ad's today, both are well within my budget, both have one kc reg'd parent but aren't reg'd themselves.

One's 17wk old girl, not far from lincoln and her mother's from working background (and is kc reg'd) Doesn't say anything about clawed or docked but is up to date with jabs and has been flee'd etc regularly. The concern with this one is there's chewed stuff in the photo - would you say it's just a phase they go through when they're young and can easily be corrected?

The other one's someone selling a litter, not as keen on the colour (liver and white, I preffer b&w) but from a working background and I think one parent is kc reg'd. will be up to date with jabs etc - not available until mid feb though.

Now, I think either could turn out to be plenty good enough for what I want - just a companion and a helping hand out pigeon/rabbit shooting, but I'm certainly no expert. What do you guys think? would you, if you were in my position?

Something I've not mentioned before; as a few on here have ended up doing, if the dog didn't work at all and training didn't make any improvement - I (and the rest of the household) would still be happy to have it but as a pet (as opposed to more of a worker).

From what you have said i would go for a pup out of the litter get one young

Why is she being passed on at 17w ?

I would go for a part trained dog or a young pup 8w or so

Re the chewing there dogs and they all do it especialy as pups its what and when it does it you need to crack

Keep at it and do your homework :rolleyes:

Edited by Tom&Dexter

can you give us any more details on the 17 week pup

some people just are not prepared , and think a bit of chewing is the end of the world , at 17 weeks old its probably just being a puppy.

looking at some of the free ads i cant beleave how some folks can get shut of a pup , or even older loyal dog that easy

give them a call and ask why they want to pass it on

That's about as much as I know about the 17wk old darran, the ad had words to the effect; "sorry to have yo do this but for sale is our 17wk old sprocker pup" Went into a little detail about the parents (pup's a bitch btw) the mother's working springer and kc reg'd the father's a cocker and she cost £350 in september now up for over £100 less. It didn't mention the chewing, I noticed a couple of things in the photo that were chewed and shouldn't've been.

I've been speaking to the owner of the springer on here that's up for sale (I hope he doesn't mind me saying so), I must admit apart from being slighlty older than I had in mind she sounds spot on to me :hmm:

hi mate i got my dog out of the manchester loot and was not from a working back ground and he had no papers. but he is turning out to be a nice little dog and if i keep up with what i am doing he will be a good working dog.

the only problem i have is if i wanted to use him as stud i will have a problem.

it all goes on what you do with him/her from the start and having the confidence helps aswell as knowing what you are doing. and if you opt for a pup train little and often and alwys finish your trainning with the something the pup can do really well.

for me it is making he retrieve something but making him sit and stay till i send him on to it or making him sit at distant then call him in to me.

Which would you say would be better for me:

17 wk old sprocker, one working parent, crate trained and possibly a little more training than that?

or

nearly a year old springer, part trained (can sit, stay and a little more) and from full working background parents and pup all kc reg'd?

Both about the same price, both up to date with jabs.