Sickly young roebuck

sako751sg

Knives and deer, a very emotive subject.For the person that knows and understands the anatomy of deer the axis shot........this works well with all small deer, and is best acheived by sitting on the deers back and folding its head downwards, thus exposing the area you want to strike with the blade.The strike is a stab, with the point of the blade, do not attempt this unless you understand anatomy, and are sure you know where the lethal point is, when done correctly it is the same as a brain shot, ie instant death.

The next best in my opinion is the ribcage, however you eill require a real knife with a lengthy blade( not sure what you are allowed to carry in Uk )This is best done by throwing your jacket, a towel etc over said deers head , and then insert blade behind the front shoulder, one half way up the width of the beast, then twist knife hard through 90 degrees.This allows air into the lungs and collapses them, again near instant death.

The last methode is the cut throat, self explanitory really, but for me not fast enough.

Any talk of trying to brain deer, forget it!!This is a species that evolution has said fights with its head........the rut, a no goer is the brainer.Sure hit it enough and it will die, but that is not woodsman like I think.

Yes there are other methodes to dispatch deer such as the neck break, however I think for this forum and thoes that ask the above is more than enough.

Don't belive that bull **** above, if you are going to use a knife on it there are two ways to kill a deer with a knife. First the one recommended by BDS is to cut its throat both cutting the windpipe and main juggler veins, the second you have to know what you are doing, is to put the knife in the axle joint and do a sideward movement to sever vital parts but in your case I would suggest ie shooting or cut its throat. Cheers, Martin.

I think you are talking out of your **** to be frank.

A knife behind the shoulder into the chest just above the elbow is quick and effective. To suggest slitting its throat is slow, messy and cruel.

This isn't halal roe for chris'sakes :good:

I think you are talking out of your **** to be frank.

A knife behind the shoulder into the chest just above the elbow is quick and effective. To suggest slitting its throat is slow, messy and cruel.

This isn't halal roe for chris'sakes :good:

Maybe in Kettering everyone gets to brandish knives with 8 inch or more blades and therefore chibbing the roe in the chest would be effective.However,we are more civillised here and usually work with knives with a blade of about 4 inches.If you suggest that this would be quick and effective suggest a lack of shillin on your behalf,or a love of sadism.

Maybe in Kettering everyone gets to brandish knives with 8 inch or more blades and therefore chibbing the roe in the chest would be effective.However,we are more civillised here and usually work with knives with a blade of about 4 inches.If you suggest that this would be quick and effective suggest a lack of shillin on your behalf,or a love of sadism.

You don't need an 8" knife to do this, it's not an elephant. If you've got a knife that's up to dressing out a deer then that is big enough.

I often wonder how many people on here actually hunt at all :good:

As a trained slaughterman for 22 years yes you can hit in on the head,But it's knowing where to hit it.This will not kill it it will knock it unconcious so you can then cut it's throat.All this about going through the ribs sounds like rambo.Yes it can be done IF you know what you are doing.The best way if you are not trained is if you can get close enough to shoot it with a shot gun then shoot it

As a trained slaughterman for 22 years yes you can hit in on the head,But it's knowing where to hit it.This will not kill it it will knock it unconcious so you can then cut it's throat.All this about going through the ribs sounds like rambo.Yes it can be done IF you know what you are doing.The best way if you are not trained is if you can get close enough to shoot it with a shot gun then shoot it

Let's agree on that :welcomeani:

Can't be bothered with pointless arguments :oops:

Try explaining to the cops when you are caught with lamped roe that you commited the act on compassionate ground and im afraid that just wouldnt rub with them.

The buck was dead this morning when i went to check,and the weather is starting to affect all our wildlife.

well did you do the deed in the end, something tells me no you missed your chance,, if you did well done and post a couple of pictures with it in your arms,, good man :unsure:

I posted a video of it yesterday fella.Dead im afraid.

A knife through the axis joint cuts the spinal cord. This does not kill the animal instantly, it just causes total paralysis which will lead relatively quickly to death.

Once the spinal cord is cut the animal should be bled straight away, either via a cut throat or knife into the heart.