Which Gun

Gix

Ok fella's, thanks to some of you lot I managed to succesfully negotiate the interview phase and the very nice man that is my FEO said I should receive the shotgun cert in the next 2 weeks... now for the next step....

What would be a decent first Gun?

I've got anywhere from £500 to £1000 to spend, Im 6ft 2" (don't know if that makes any difference) and to start with will be mainly Clay shooting, with the aim of progressing to pigeon shooting etc at a later date ( I wouldn't rule out buying another gun for field work at a later date).

Any suggestions at what would be a suitable make, model etc and what I should look for in a gun in that price range?

Also what type of clay shooting should a beginner start off with?

Cheers

Gix.

You will get the second hand suggestion of browning / beretta. However if you shop around you might be able to get a new miroku mk60 or 70 for under 1K. However don't rule out b or b, go to a good shop and try em.

Also get as few lessons from either a pro (costly) or your local gun club (free). Try them all ie - sporting, trap and skeet whick will build up your knowledge and understanding (sometimes anyway).

Try the Browning 525, it has stock dimensions that suit guys over 6ft. :lol:

If however you can see too much rib (ask someone at club about that) then try the Miroku mk70 or 7000 or 6000 as the stocks are lower.

Get a 30 inch barrel as you will be able to handle it from the word go.

Get out and try one. Ask to have a go with someones gun at a club, you will get very few refusals as most other shooters will be glad to help a new shooter.

Some clubs have gun shops and will let you take one out to try.

Skeet is a good place to start but don`t think you have to stick to the exact way to shoot skeet.

Shoot as many as you like off of any station until you feel comfortable with that target. Your paying for it, shoot as many as you like, just be safe.

If possible get a few lessons with a good coach that several people have recommended, it will save you a fortune in the long run.

Good Luck. :good:

Some good suggestions already, but for what it's worth I'd suggest getting a 30ins multichoke with chambers capable of holding 2.75 and 3ins cartridges.

You'll be able to use a shotgun of that configuration effectively for any discipline on any clay ground, and then use it in the field too in future for pigeons, ducks, geese, whatever :yes:

Cheers chaps.

Daz, Thanks, for the shop suggestions I'll go take a look when I have my cert..East Midland Shooting Ground is just up the road from me and I will be going there once I'm sorted with a gun, a mate has also said he will take me along and show me the ropes.

Cheers

Gix. :oops: