Whats a good average

columbus

I shot two fields today. This morning i had 8 birds for 10 shots ,this afternoon i had 24 birds for (wait for it,)60 shots.I dont normaly shoot that bad but it could just be an off afternoon,( please! ) But it made me think what you pro's average. I normaly average over a season approx 66%. I have read in the shooting press of a pro averaging 95% idon't expect to get enywhere near that but i am wondering what is the average for a layman.

If I go home with 30 birds in the bag for 60-70 shots I am a happy man. It all depends whether you are decoying or flighting if you are flighting the birds tend to be higher which if you are like me missing is easier. But if you are decoying you can select the range the birds are at with your killing area in the decoy pattern.

Keith

Columbus

Last week I was shooting over a rape stubble it was a fairly windy day with the wind crossing the hide from my right.The stubble was fairly high and I had dead bird decoys out on cradles.The pigeons were coming in quite steady and I was having great difficulty hitting them with my first shot and only sometimes hitting them with my second shot.I picked about 30 pigeons and went home disgusted. The next time I shot the same field the wind was alot lighter and I had about the same bag but with alot less shots. Whether it was the strength of the wind that was putting me off or whether it was me having a bad day nobody will ever know but I suppose thats pigeon shooting for you.

Keith

On my first proper day out decoying when I was 15 years old I shot 18 woodpigeon for 24 cartridges. I was so pleased with myself that I bragged about it to everyone. Ever since that day I always monitor my pigeon/cartridge ratios (of course I do, they cost money) and I average less than 2 cartridges per kill.

You boys have nothing to worry about with those averages, the overall figure for a reasonable shot seems to work out at about 1 kill for every 3 shots.  ;)

We had 5 Italians out today and they shot 150 birds (lots of ferals) for 570 shots, though some of the shots they pulled off were incredible.........has anybody else tried the Gamebore 'pigeon extreme' cartridges?.........very impressive.

Loads of different factors affect the accuracy of my shooting over decoys.

I always pick up my empties and sometimes I am suprised at how many shots I have fired for birds killed, either good, or bad.

I have moved over to Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30gm, as it is the cheapest cartridge with a felt wad that my Gunshop sells.

I have been using the Lyevale Express Pigeon, which is a good cartridge, but has a plastic cup.

Deakos Italians sound like an old friend of mine.

He believed Eley Maximum 6s were the best cartridge for anything.

He use to suffer with headaches a lot. ;)

Would it be fairer when decoying to count the oppourtunities you have not the amount of shots fired, any bird passing within 40 yards is an aceptable target. Another funny thing ... the other day i was being watched by a grumpy nieghbouring gamekeeper I killed 13 birds with 13 shots including 2 left and rights however i would say that my average was about 50%.