Stupid question on the way.

tenbears10

Ok I need some new cartridges for rough shooting. Last time I asked the guy in the shop what he recommended (big mistake). So now I'm asking poeple with no vested interest (you guys).

I think most people would recommend one of the pigeon carts but are these good for bunnies, crows and the odd phesant as well as pigeons?

I have been using 30g 7's and I see most of you use 6's so I think that is the way to go.

Now the stupid bit what exactly does the number 7 or 6 denote? I thought I knew but then people were talking about AA, BB, BBB :blink: :(

Thanks in advance

Gamebore Clear Pigeons are pretty good cheap cartridges, in 30 or 32G.

I use 6's as they give a big more wallop.

You can get drawn into pellet size versus chokes discussions that go on for ever and I am not going there!

I will try and find some words of visdom about pellet numbers and sizes, the Eley Diary is a great resource for stuff like that - and it doubles up as a diary :(

Ok, what I meant to say was...

Everyone will have an opinion on what is the best shot size and calibre for a given type of shooting, and that can draw you away from the original question.

So here goes.

I managed to find this, it doesn't look like it formatted very well but here it is, I hope it is of some help.

The columns are, Shot size, diameter in INCHES and number of pellets per once.

AAA .20 35

BB .16 70

1 .14 100

3 .12 140

4 .11 170

5 .105 220

6 .10 270

7 .095 340

So you can see 7's have an extra 70 pellets more per once than 6's and are smaller diameter. They will tend to have less killing power at range but will be better for closer shots.

Edited by stuartp

Just while were on the subject. I'm fairly sure on this but I have 5 chokes for my Browning whats the best two to use for pigeoning ?? Do you want it wide open by using the skeet and the one below ? or something the middle ? I take it the higher the number or fraction the wider the spread ??

While we are on the subject of stupid questions i have only been useing shotguns for last few months. So can anyone tell me what is the difference between 30g no 6 and 32g no 6 does the 32 have more weight of lead shot in it or is it for more powder :thumbs:?:thumbs:??? :( :blink:

PS and which one would you reccommend and why ?? B)

Edited by hawkeye

While we are on the subject of stupid questions i have only been useing shotguns for last few months. So can anyone tell me what is the difference between 30g no 6 and 32g no 6 does the 32 have more weight of lead shot in it or is it for more powder :thumbs:?:thumbs:??? :blink: B)

PS and which one would you reccommend and why ?? :thumbs:

I can tell you if you don't aim in the right place niether will work :(

The 32g is number of grams of shot in your cartridge.

In OLD Money when I were a lad you would get

1 oz = 28g

1 1/8 oz = 32g

1 1/4 oz = 36g

1 7/8 oz = 53g = 3" Magnum size.

I have know idea how much powder is in these.... and whether it changes from the ammoung of shot.

Choke restrictions are

full = 40 thou of an inch. Marked as * or 1 slot or 1 something

3/4 = 30 **

1/2 = 20 ***

1/4 = 10 ****

cyl = 0 *****

Not sure what skeet is set to but could be 5 thou.

With powders it all depends what powder is in the cartridge as these vary with manufacturers,they also vary with the type of cartridge/wad/speed/pressure etc.etc.

You could fill pages with data about cartridge make up suffice to say don`t mess with it as they take no prisoners,if you`re lucky you get knocked on your ****,if not you lose your life :(