Snow

Cranfield

We have had some snow in Kent this week.

This has provided a perfect reason that pigeons aren,t on the rape.........they can,t see it. ;)

I have been out every day and just shot a few birds from inside the woods.

6 birds shot yesterday between 1- 3pm, had empty crops.

The berries must be disappearing and I am hoping that they will feed on the rape with a vengeance, when the snow uncovers it.

I have seen a few larger groups 30+ birds in the woods , since the cold spell started.

Before then, it was much smaller groups of 4-5 birds.

Perhaps the Winter shooting around here will start now....before Spring gets here.

:)

:) Took a drive to look at the rape field where we had permission for a one off day,s shooting before Xmas ,yesterday.Pulled into the gateway and the whole field came alive as pigeons took off all over it.Can,t put a figure on the amount but it was well into the hundreds.The field was mainly white with frost and a dusting of snow but as this was 12-30 and few of them came back,I assume they had been feeding on it all morning until I disturbed them.  Getting spoiled for choice of venue for this coming weekend. ;) (If that statement hasn,t put the curse on me) :*)  8-)

So to recap, one stands under a known flight line, clears the snow from the ground and sets up 20-30 decoys and awaits the arrival of hundreds of fat pigeons.....

Is that about the sum total...;)

I haven't had a go at them for a while and a aching for a crack.

I went for a recci and as i hadn't seen alot of movement had all but written-off my planned trip on Sat.

but thinking about it, I suppose if they can't get to the feild for snow if clear a patch of field they'll be hungry and have nowhere else to go :)?

Am I on the right lines here boys :(

As you say Elma, we have had only a dusting of snow in Oxon. I went for a drive around yesterday and there are reasonable numbers of birds on the rape.

Our problem is still the flooding. The fields we plan to shoot this weekend are close to the Thames, you probably know where I mean. One of the lads went out Tuesday and got in a bit of a mess. All was well first thing but then as the sun came out the field 'defrosted' and turned into a rape swamp!!!!! It went over his wellies and he was none too chuffed.  ;)

Out of interest, do birds still feed when snow is falling? I don't have any experience of shooting in the snow as it's a bit of a rarity here.

In my experience, pigeons behave in snow, as they behave in rain.

They don,t seem to like it.

I was at the rape fields this morning, most of the snow has gone, but I didn,t see many pigeons.

It was still freezing and I actually snapped a frozen rape leaf, off the plant.   ;)

Perhaps, thats why there were no pigeons about.

Deako, I know I will probably look a p***k for asking this, but, does this trick of yours, laying out camo netting with deeks on top, actually work? I have often thought of trylng something along these lines but have never been bold enough. I just have visions of old hands leaning on the gate and laughing their heads off watching me. I once had this wonderful idea of having a decoy swoop out of the trees into my pattern on the field. I set up the fishing line. and balanced the decoy in the branches. Pigeons appear on the horizon, I give the decoy a poke with a stick and it swooped down. Excellent. Until I realised I then had to climb the tree again to reprime the thing. I'm still working on it though.

Guest flightline

As it forecast to be significantly warmer now from early next week, what effect do you think this is likely to have after a week of frost and snow? Will the birds go back to mooching around the woods or what? 8-)

Hopefully, the cold spell will have killed off the last of the "alternative foods" and will make the pigeons head for the rape fields.

The coming mild weather is supposed to be accompanied by some strong (possibly gale force) winds, from the West/SouthWest, this can keep the pigeons on the move and makes decoying easier. It could also make for some good roost shoots.

Hello lads, I'm new  to this game. listening to what you are saying about the cold weather, it seams to be the opposite down here south west Cornwall, we don’t usually get snow or much frost but since the week before Xmas it has been frosty and some snow the first in 5 years. except for one day there has been now pigeons about the cold and the snow seems to have moved them out of the county apart from the odd few feeding on cabbage mostly what is grown down here what can I do to bring them back tried praying but so far no luck. billm  ;)

Welcome billm, I want to make it quite clear from the start, we ain,t got your pigeons in Kent.

Someone has got most of ours and all of yours it would seem. ;)

I reckon its that ernyah bloke and his mate. :*)

Don,t you have rape down there ?

I would have thought the pigeons would love to be feeding on cabbages, far preferable to rape.

I suggest you work on the same theory as I am.......wait long enough and they will appear.  :)

Guest flightline

Has ernyah got the Northamptonshire ones as well? Out today before dawn (she can get her own breakfast) and set up really early when there was still frost-it was still there at 2 when I packed up, so it was a really heavy one. 15 deeks and a rotor. It was windy enough to really move the shell ones. A lovely rape field, apart from walkers on the footpath in the next field. I gave up counting when I got to 40 people. Is this why I saw hardly any birds? The ones I did see almost always coincided with walkers, or (once) me going for a brisk walk myself to warm up, and veered off. But from where I was I could see for miles north and east. Hardly any pigeons at all, just the odd one or two. But they had been on the field earler in the week and the gas gun was going when I got there.  :(  :S  ;)  :*)  :)  :(

;) Well i am sorry lads if you think that lloydy and me have got all the pigeons.In fact out of all the many fields that we have access to,only 3 are "hot" and they are many miles apart.As you will have read one of these failed yesterday due to the fog and after yet another hot bath i am still thawing out.If the forecast is correct,high pressure is moving away this week with winds and showers back with us.Should be a few birds about hopefully.Can,t believe there are no pigeons down the road in Northamtonshire,bit ironic really cause we have to take ours there to the nearest game dealer.Keep looking they will turn up. :)  8-)