Hill descent control

harrycatcat1

To be honest, i'm not a huge fan of them.

I'd rather know i'm in control of if the brakes are operating and when. Maybe I haven't done anything extreme enough to notice their benefit, but i have always found that low first or second and feet of the pedals has worked a treat.

Mine works a treat on the snow and ice, I`v had to test it several times lately.

I also use it off road shooting/lamping on wet nights. My shooting partners can`t believe where it can take me .

I`v a SWB Pajero 2800 TDI. with a good set of all terrain tyres.

I also use it to tow a trailer full of clay traps and clays etc up and down steep hills and never had a problem.

However I have been doing it for years. :hmm:

Its great if you know how to use it,or I should say trust it. On ice the worst thing you can do is lock up your wheels, most cars these days have ABS which on ice can be dangerous as it is quite aggressive and locks the wheels, so if you can turn ABS off and use hill descent but dont touch the brakes, on a D3 you can adjust speed up or down using cruise cotrol buttons.

Does it come with bowel release control?

I could have done with that a few times driving recently :good:

One tractor driver lost control and slid down a hill, the people in the car coming jumped out and dived into the hedge.

Driving down on ice with no chains will alway be risky, they are good on mud too. x2 the grip.

Lookup 'Brindley chains' both for snow chains and 'auto sock' see the video. :blush:

or drive down hill on ice with one foot on the brake and the other foot holding the door open ready to dive out :good:

easiest way I find is 2nd gear no revs and lightly applying the foorbrake just enough to drag but not lock up. No problems here on roads you couldn't walk up but does help getting wheels into the very edge of the road onto snow if there is any there. Its fine till you start moving faster than the wheels are turning then you just have to sit and hope it bites before you hit anything

living 620 feet up a Cumbrian hillside, I can tell you that NOTHING will stop your vehicle from sliding on ice, apart from studded tyres, like they use in Scandewegia or the Alps.

Chains might work, but they are a pain to get on and off.

We have a good time watching visitors with their posh Audi and BMW 4 x 4s driving with confidence until things come apart on an icy bit.

Especially on our shoot where we get a few with more money than sense.

(What is it with these folks who get an X5 or new Disco; (even a range rover in one case) , and put street-racer wheels/tyres on them ( you know the sort: all wheel and 2 inches of slicky tyre), and then seem surprised when they get stuck in mud)? What a laugh!

FG

I used it on an snow compacted icey lane on Tuesday, low range, 1st gear, still started to slide on the ice and with 100 yards of 1 in 3 or so in front of me I ran it into a high bank on one side of the lane to rub the speed off. EBS/ABS or not when you are sliding on ice nothing much will stop you, all HDC will do is apply the brakes in abs mode.

A couple of winters ago I crept over the brow of a slight slope with a dual carraigeway at the bottom, speed maybe 15mph. At 6am I slid Abs working all the way down, over 100 yards and out into the dual carraigeway. As I got their the traffic lights up the road released a pile of cars on teh duakl carriageway so of course I managed to hit a Volvo. My second own fault accident in 40 years and maybe 1,000,000 miles.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Freelander 1 the origin of hill descent control, no fancy settings on it just on off in first and reverse gear. Independently apply brakes through ABS system on individual wheels got me through horrific snow storm on the Yorkshire Dale's. Thick snow with underlying ice and between traction control and hill descent got me slowly over the tops to safety for 27miles. I've driven in some bad conditions in all climates but it was some of the worst. Definitely an option worth having in extreme conditions.

On 15/01/2010 at 19:04, ForeignGadger said:

living 620 feet up a Cumbrian hillside, I can tell you that NOTHING will stop your vehicle from sliding on ice, apart from studded tyres, like they use in Scandewegia or the Alps.

Chains might work, but they are a pain to get on and off.

We have a good time watching visitors with their posh Audi and BMW 4 x 4s driving with confidence until things come apart on an icy bit.

Especially on our shoot where we get a few with more money than sense.

(What is it with these folks who get an X5 or new Disco; (even a range rover in one case) , and put street-racer wheels/tyres on them ( you know the sort: all wheel and 2 inches of slicky tyre), and then seem surprised when they get stuck in mud)? What a laugh!

FG

I quite agree although was recently amazed what drug dealer alloys and tyres can do...I have Volvo XC60s as company cars and can’t spec the wheels, I’ve had 4 since Feb last year, the first three had 22” wheels and a smear Pirelli p zero scorpion very road biased rubber, the third had 21” and slightly more rubber - I used this on the three syndicate days we were allowed this season in Lincolnshire soaked clay, puddles, ice and snow and I was amazed. I was expecting to need to be towed,  but in off road mode with suspension raised and clever torque vectoring it was very impressive - kept up with and in some cases bettered all of the the pickups and a disco 4 and really surprised me. I now have a V90 cross country with the same drivetrain, 20” wheels but without the air suspension and clearance I am not sure it’ll get around the shoot - but then all it’s going to do is sit on my drive for the next 2 months or so. I don’t expect any of them would be any good on ice, despite hill descent control.