Buzzards

brooktrout

Has anyone witnessed a buzzard droppingonto their decoys? I actually had this happen to me twice in

the same year,andnever before or since.  On both occasions it hit the decoy with a loud "clink"of talonson plastic,landed a

yard from the

upturneddecoy then flew disgustedly away.  To get a

shot like that on a video camera would be

superb, but a chance in a million.

I've had Buzzards circle my decoys on a few occasions, but never attack.  On numerous occasions I've had Sparrowhawks hit decoys and on one occasion one hit the magnet ripping the pigeons wing clean off.

Last winter a female Peregrine swooped through my decoy pattern and almost through the hide.

on two seperate occasions last year on the same farm i had a sparrowhawk chase the pigeon on the magnet round both occasions witnessed by my dad.

i have also had sparrow hawks on loads of occasions drop down onto shot pigeons when roost shooting i think they where trying to get a last meal before it got to dark.

;)  :)

Guest flightline

Last year, late Spring, I had a buzzard hover motionless 100 ft above the hide, then descend downwind, turn back in towards the deeks and clap its talons onto a full-bodied. It then went for another, so I fired in the air to scare it away. I`ve also pulled a sparrowhawk from 1/2 ml away to the magnet. Came in low, fast and straight out of the sun but missed the magnet and pushed off. The buzard attack was an amazing site and one I`ll never forget. In full morning sun too, on unflocked deeks.

A lot of my shooting is in Red Kite country, and they will often glide over to take a peek at the decoys. I've never had one try to take a deek , or a dead bird, but as they are predominantly carrion I wouldn't be amazed to witness a "strike" on a dead bird. One thing I have noticed about the kites is that they take very little notice of gun shots. It's no wonder they were made extinct. If I were a nineteenth century gamekeeper I would have several on the gibbet by now.

A gibbert was a line of the gamekeepers spoils from his trapping line and gun. He would hang the bodies(crows, stoats, sparrowhawks etc etc) along a fence line, his employer or if he was a underkeeper his boss would see how effective a war he was wageing on the vermin.

Very popular in the past but with the amount of ramblers and mountain bikers with there beady eyes about it's frowned upon now.

A gibbert was a line of the gamekeepers spoils from his trapping line and gun. He would hang the bodies(crows, stoats, sparrowhawks etc etc) along a fence line, his employer or if he was a underkeeper his boss would see how effective a war he was wageing on the vermin.

and, of course, the maggots that dropped to the ground were good food for growing game birds.

Just think how a dead charlie could be rearing young pheasants. Ironic, don't you think?