28-inch barrels?

Mr_Logic

I shoot 28" barrels, seem to get on alright with it, some will say that my gun feels very 'lively' in their hands, but after swinging a 32" sporter around thats obviously going to be the case.

Shooting anything longer than my 686 feels like swinging a drainpipe to me, I guess you just get used to what you shoot with!

Excuse me for butting in but are you saying barrel length makes no difference to a 12 bore? As a novice I often wondered why the different lengths, what does it actually do to a shotgun when firing (barrel length that is)?

Thanks

The shot takes slightly longer to exit the longer barrels.

I find a 32" barrel suits my build and I find it more pointable, however I am sure that unless you get into the nth degree of ballistics then it makes no difference whatsoever.

Traditionally a trap gun has long barrels, a skeet gun has short ones and a sporter and game guns were somewhere in between.

Long barrelled sporting guns came into fashion again after someone used one to win some competition or other.

few of the guys in the club i shoot at use 28" barrels with no problem, its a personal preferance thing.

my rizzini had 28" barrels and that was fine for clays.

if possible give the gun a try and see if it fits and you get on with it.

But they weigh a tonne. My 28" rizinni feels more sluggish than my dad's 30" Browning, simply because of the different balance. The rizinni feels like a peice of dead weight in comparison, which makes ip for the shorter barrels.

But whatever. Pull the trigger and make it bang.

I found going from 28 to 30" barrels made getting onto second barrel shots easier, and the longer barreled gun feels a bit more steady, but.. I went from a 686 to 687 which also weighs a tad more

Same here. I went from 26 or 27inch barrel onto a 30inch one and i found my swing was smoother and steadier. However, that may have been simply because of the extra weight the longer barrelled gun had.

Its funny tho, how years back the trend was for shorter barrels for clays, now the trend is for longer barrels.

Same here. I went from 26 or 27inch barrel onto a 30inch one and i found my swing was smoother and steadier. However, that may have been simply because of the extra weight the longer barrelled gun had.

Its funny tho, how years back the trend was for shorter barrels for clays, now the trend is for longer barrels.

from 24 inch to 26 inch theres a lot of diffrence a 24 inch will have less range in power then the 26 inch . when a cartridge is fired the powder will not stop burning till it gets to 26inch this is why you will some times notice a muzzel flash from a shorter barrel less powder burnt = less power =less range

i use 28 inch as i perfer to be able to put the barrels in the correct place quickley and i find 30/32 inch to slow

from 24 inch to 26 inch theres a lot of diffrence a 24 inch will have less range in power then the 26 inch . when a cartridge is fired the powder will not stop burning till it gets to 26inch this is why you will some times notice a muzzel flash from a shorter barrel less powder burnt = less power =less range

i use 28 inch as i perfer to be able to put the barrels in the correct place quickley and i find 30/32 inch to slow

I read somewhere in a shooting rag that the powder is all done between 18-22"

I am sure there is a ballistical boff out there that can tell us the truth, not that it matters.... Who shoots a 24" gun ??

I read somewhere in a shooting rag that the powder is all done between 18-22"

I am sure there is a ballistical boff out there that can tell us the truth, not that it matters.... Who shoots a 24" gun ??

As far as I understand from the books I have read, barrel length is only significant for complete combustion of powder charge if using black powder. With modern nitro powders its as you say all done well before the legal minimum length of 24 inches. Also there should be no difference in velocity between shotgun barrel lengths for the same cartridge either, unlike rifles where if you take the barrel shorter you can make a difference to the muzzle velocity. But I am only repeating what I have read in various shooting books.

Sodit