Ringed woodies

MARK 1

Just wondering are there any members out there who have picked any shot woodies with rings on,last year from about the 2 thousand or so woodies we shot i found 4 which had been ringed by the english bird museum,as on the rings i sent them to the stated address.

After a short peroid of time on each occasion i recieved a short letter noteing the date & place these chicks were ringed on there nests,I also discoverd these birds were shot all in a 2 mile radius of there tagging.

thanks for that cranfield ,just thought this thread was general knowledge over the years in my area i must have shot 20 + with rings on them .

I also have a mate who shot a pinkfooted goose that had been ringed in iceland yet shot in southport.

regards mark.

cheers deako did you send them off to find out were they were ringed & when? ,as for fifer's reply out of how many geese you shot ,how many many wre ringed  ? i believe a mate of mine who shoots near martin mere here in lancs <don't know if you've heard of it or not> ,its our local wwt reserve shot @ least 10 this year with rings on them of which all but 1 came from iceland.

regards  mark.

well out all the geese that i have shot and my clients i have only had 7 that have had rings on them all but 1 where ringed in iceland.well do they do the rocket netting down on the mere or do they catch the young greys as all the geese i have had with rings on them have been pinks i have never had a grey with a ring yet  ;)

In over 30 years of shooting i have only shot 2 ringed birds one was a teal about 20 years ago that was ringed in denmark and shot in west wales. The other was a porchard  ringed in slimbridge and shot in west wales i rang the wildfowl trust to report it(the girl on the other end of the phone was not impressed) she said that she would get back to me with the history of the bird but they never did.

My son caught a tagged bass around 5 years ago on the Gower coast S Wales. The details of the releasedfish were sent back to the a/d on the tag, which was confirmed as being originally tagged by a conservation trust in Felixtowe,England around2 yrs previously.  I once took a ringed house sparrow from the

claws

of a domesticcat which later proved to have been releasedfrom a local university about a month previously.