foreshore goose flighting- help!!

woodystock

Hello all, l have been shooting for a good few year now, but lately l have been wanting to try something new. I am wanting to go to south west scotland and have a go at the geese on the foreshore- now l know that you have to be careful with tides etc so l dont want to go anywhere dangerous, there is about 4 of us wanting to try it, without guides or cost ideally!!

So can any of you tell me where l get a permit- or do l need a permit for a certain place, l know nothing!

Any tips on where to go, what time, what to do and what not to do would be great- l can imagine it been exciting sometimes, and very cold and wet at others!

Cheer :good:

If you've never been before I would recommend a guide of some sort. The foreshore can be a dangerous place as you say. I don't know what your experience is but if you haven't tackled geese on the foreshore previously then I would take advice.

It might be worth ringing somewhere like Wigtown Wildfowlers to see what they think, they may be able to point you in the right direction as to best location unguided, tide patterns etc.

The south west scotland can be very hit or miss, ( no pun intended ). I have had a couple of trips up there, staying in Annan and never saw a goose, and that was with a guide. I would maybe look a bit more on the east coast.

As mentioned, ring one of the local wildfowling clubs. Try to get hold of the BASC wildfowling permit scheme booklet. Just email or ring them. Some clubs might do trial flights with exsisting members for next to nothing. It has plenty of good info in it anyway.

I think you will find Scotland differs to England in that if you have access to the foreshore you can shoot it, I have been up a few times to the Solway and the Findhore and no permit was required, so get a OS map find legal access and fill yer boots :good: