game bird season

number 1

as the pheasant and partridge season is getting closer im just wondering if you are aloud to shoot through it.i am not and soon i will have to stop pigeon shooting and wont be able to shoot untill febuary.

does anyone else do this???

i do it because the keeper does not want his birds disturbed and at the moment im not aloud to shoot all my lnad because of the bird pens and they mite get disturbed

Where I shoot pigeons, its not part of a formal game shoot.

When I was a member of a shooting syndicate, that covered two large farms, we shot every Saturday.

The farmers still wanted their crops protected and so we pigeon shot, or sited bangers in the fields, during the week, but avoided the areas on Thursday/Friday, that we were going to beat through on Saturday.

The general opinion was that the pheasants and partridges did not take much notice of the pigeon shooting.

As we were "fixed" in hides the game just moved to another part of the field.

We did leave our dogs at home though as they would upset the birds and flush them (even accidently).

Clearly roost shooting would be a problem, as would lamping with shotguns.

Thats a bit of bad luck number 1, its a pity the farmer or gamekeeper, can,t find you a bit of pigeon shooting locally.

We usually stay away from the areas that they use for game shooting from about now unless asked to do otherwise.No problem though cos come Feb te gamekeeper organises some cracking roost shooting for each Saturday in that month besides thers plenty of other places to go for a bit of ferriting or a few pigeons.

• 2 weeks later...