Sloe gin

lurcherboy

Whats your recipes for it ? I made mine last year and in theory it should be ready now. Do you have to filter the berries out of it once its ready ? I read a good article on Sporting Gun about using berries in a chocolate liqueur by stoning them and then mixing into melted chocolate and allowing to cool. Might try it this year!

LS,

The Gordons stuff is 'thin' and that is being polite, it tastes too much like their Gin which can never be a good thing. The Plymouth version tastes much better, but is more expensive - I wonder why :rolleyes: But niether are as good as your own when it goes right.

GB,

Strain it out through muslin (not a muslim) you will get some bits but I normally decant it and let it settle, just be careful not to shake it up each time you pour some out.

Yeah i thought it would be hard to get a hold of a Muslim round my way !! :rolleyes:

Stuartp,

I've been shaking the bottle every few days or so for the last year so hopefully it will come out ok. I suppose once you've strained it you could just add a little more sugar to taste if its a little on the acrid side ?

I normally only shake it gently in the first week or so to get all the sugar disolved and then leave it.

Shaking it every few days for that length of time you deserve a medal!

I don't know about adding sugar later, I guess someone on here may have made a bit of wine in the past may be able to answer that one.

Mine, in the past has either come out a bit too sweet or a bit fruity, but now comes out sopt on every time, just a bit experimentation until you get the mix how you like it.

Pound of pricked sloes

Pound of soft brown sugar

Pint of cheap vodka

The sugar helps with the colouring, and isn't so strongly sweet as refined white. As was mentioned in another thread, you can adjust the sweetness later.

I've got two 1 gallon demijohns with 3pints in each (with the sugar and fruit takes it nearly two-thirds full) on the go at the moment. Will shake weekly and strain one after 6 months and the other after a year to compare.

LS