cooking oil and diesel mixture hmm

Wookie

I've found instructions on how to make it and what I need to make it in/using. I've even found out how I account for the fuel and how much I have to pay Customs once I start using it. But... Has anyone got any pointers on where I can buy the Methanol and Sodium Hydroxide?

Also, I'm a tiny bit worried about the Police visiting me about it as I've been told that the ingredients _could_ be construed as bomb pre-cursors to any police force that's a bit paranoid and jittery about such things.

Any hints, tips or suggestions gratefully received,

Wookie

I've found instructions on how to make it and what I need to make it in/using. I've even found out how I account for the fuel and how much I have to pay Customs once I start using it. But... Has anyone got any pointers on where I can buy the Methanol and Sodium Hydroxide?

Also, I'm a tiny bit worried about the Police visiting me about it as I've been told that the ingredients _could_ be construed as bomb pre-cursors to any police force that's a bit paranoid and jittery about such things.

Any hints, tips or suggestions gratefully received,

Wookie

I've just acquired a large amount of used cooking oil and plan to have a bash at some biodiesel, would be very interested to hear how others get on. Speedway riders used to run the bikes on pure methanol, not sure if they still do, need to be careful handling the stuff as it can apparently get through your skin and will make you blind !.

Find someone who works in the Chemical Industry, like me :rolleyes:

But seriously you don't want to be ******* around with Sodium Hydroxide NaOH and Methanol

NaOh burns like **** and methanol is highly flammable. Be very careful if you are about to wash you own fuels

"Safety is no Accident"

Jonno

Such a mix can have a diverse effect on fuel lines and diesel pumps , but at 22p for WVO and 27.1p duty it won't take long for it to pay for a knackered diesel pump

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

http://www.biodieselnow.com/

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_....html#homebrews

all the best yis yp :rolleyes:

Cheers for all the "helpful" advice guys! Customs are on-side about things. I phoned them up the other day and they were very helpful about things. I've got some forms coming through with an advice sheet (I think) and when they have the new guidlines ready, they'll be sending out another form to me!

As for making it, I reckon I could. I've got a degree in Biochemisrty and, whilst I've not used anything to do with it for a _long_ time, I reckon I should be ok just mixing a couple of things together. If nothing else, it'll be like cooking.

I was thinking about using a seive to get the chunks out of the oil and then going for something like silk or really fine cloth for the smaller bits. Then all I need to is get the water out of it.

Also, can I just go up to any chippy and ak for oil? The local one to work said that they now have to pay to have it taken away and it all has to be measured and signed for.

Right, another coffee I think...

Wookie

Also, can I just go up to any chippy and ak for oil? The local one to work said that they now have to pay to have it taken away and it all has to be measured and signed for.

Right, another coffee I think...

Wookie

I think they can give it away to you and account for the quantity in the same way as paying to get it taken away but you are doing them a favor by taking it off their hands for nothing.

My butcher is the same in that they have to pay to get bone taken away so if you ever want one for the dog they are more than happy to give you them free, again you are saving them money.

Edited by tenbears10

• 1 month later...

Hi All, just reading through some of the older posts. I've got a hilux surf same as Cranfield and i've been running on veggy for nearly a year now. 44p a litre at tesco. I use 90% ish mix through the summer and 50% through winter or when it's starts to get a bit colder. Find starting a bit lumpy otherwise, although once going its fine... apart from the smell, can get a bit embarressing sometimes ( is that how u spell embarressing ? ) also well ( that hard to spell word ) walking round tesco with a trolley full,especially when you're a bit bigger ( fatter ) than most people and everyone's looking in your trolley and you know what they're thinking. Sorry, don't know about other cars suitability, just thought i'd tell you about my experience.