Leicestershire Owners And Drivers Emergency Response Service (LOADERS)

fo5ter

When emergency situations arise where help is needed in terrain fit only for 4-wheel driving, members of the LOADERS are called.

The Leicestershire Owner And Driver Emergency Response Service (or ROADERS as they are known in Rutland) members own 4×4 vehicles. They volunteer to help when only a 4×4 vehicle can reach locations that other vehicles cannot. The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Local Resilience Forum maintains a list of these volunteers and calls upon them in times of need

LOADERS have recently been engaged during the recent heavy snow falls where they have helped to deliver hot meals to vulnerable people within the community when the council’s contracted meals on wheels provider were having problems in getting their vehicles to reach outlying areas cut off by the snow and ice.

If you would like to volunteer or learn more about being a LOADER (or ROADER) please email: info@localresilienceforum.org.uk

All Leicestershire County Council Volunteers are covered by the Councils Employers Liability insurance policy.

As for vehicle insurance - it is for you to check that your vehicle insurance policy covers you.

we can provide you with a pro-forma letter to send to them which basically contains the following wording:

I intend to undertake voluntary work and, from time to time, I will use my vehicle to carry passengers or to carry out other duties, as requested. I will receive a mileage allowance for these journeys to cover the running costs of my vehicle in accordance with Section 1(4) of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981, which exempts me from both Passenger Service Vehicle and Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Car licensing laws.

I should be grateful if you would confirm that my existing policy covers me for such volunteer driving. Please also confirm that my insurance policy contains a clause indemnifying the agencies with which I am a volunteer against third party claims arising out of the use of my vehicle for such voluntary work.

Yours faithfully

etc

All Leicestershire County Council Volunteers are covered by the Councils Employers Liability insurance policy.

As for vehicle insurance - it is for you to check that your vehicle insurance policy covers you.

we can provide you with a pro-forma letter to send to them which basically contains the following wording:

I intend to undertake voluntary work and, from time to time, I will use my vehicle to carry passengers or to carry out other duties, as requested. I will receive a mileage allowance for these journeys to cover the running costs of my vehicle in accordance with Section 1(4) of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981, which exempts me from both Passenger Service Vehicle and Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Car licensing laws.

I should be grateful if you would confirm that my existing policy covers me for such volunteer driving. Please also confirm that my insurance policy contains a clause indemnifying the agencies with which I am a volunteer against third party claims arising out of the use of my vehicle for such voluntary work.

Yours faithfully

etc

most insurers will require you to have at least class 1 business use for this, as receiving mileage allowance is classed as "using the vehicle for hire or reward" in their eyes :rolleyes:

How, if at all does this comapre / differ from the 4x4 response org. http://www.4x4response.info/forum/

Also with the 4x4 response you get a public liability insurance to cover you for 3rd party liability

Trev Hant & Berks 4x4 Response Member

I suppose there is no difference at all except that 4x4 response is a registered charity and the LOADERS volunteer for the county emergency planning team - the result and goals will be exactly the same

In fact if there was a 4x4 response group in the county (the website says there isnt one yet) we would look to utilise these in exactly the same way

Edited by fo5ter