The Best Restaurant in my County

MJN

Actually thinking about it, unless anyone reading this lives down the road from you, or is prepared to drive this thread is mainly useless

£3.25 you say MM, do you save that one for a special treat for the missus? :rolleyes:

I'm prepared to travel a reasonable distance for a "good" resturant, and if it just happens to be near a shooting ground ...

Queens Head at Fyfield is well worth a visit !

and Smiths Brasserie Ongar, is also good.

M.

I like to go here www.thestaratharome.co.uk

But you have to stop over for the night if your eating later on "doh" always upsetting that .

all the best yis yp :rolleyes:

It's not as good since the refurbishment - more covers but less atmosphere. Also, my fiancee contracted food poisoning (last October, along with many others) when we last dined there.

Best restaurant was Pierre Koffman's pop-up restaurant that opened on the roof of Selfridges last year.

The Birch - Woburn - always good, fantastic service.

Local venison steaks (from Woburn Safari Park) - hmmmmm..........

Had a fantastic starter on Saturday evening there with the wife - something like, black pudding, poached egg, bacon, creamy mash and onion gravy - sounds strange, but tasted amazing.

Then went for the Cod with mature cheddar, potatoes, mint and pea sauce (with a side of super chunky chips) :rolleyes:

i have to agree with you there Dan,,, great food ,

It's not as good since the refurbishment - more covers but less atmosphere. Also, my fiancee contracted food poisoning (last October, along with many others) when we last dined there.

Best restaurant was Pierre Koffman's pop-up restaurant that opened on the roof of Selfridges last year.

Flash , did she get the winter vomiting sickness that all the villages and staff had , or did mr purn poision your good lady and , all the other foks that dined there ?

Only asking as i seem to remember the star being shut for a week , about that time .

An your quite correct the place was better before the refurb.

p.s which ones your favourite room ? The good lady and mine is number 7 closely followed by number 1 then the lodge .

Flash , did she get the winter vomiting sickness that all the villages and staff had , or did mr purn poision your good lady and , all the other foks that dined there ?

Only asking as i seem to remember the star being shut for a week , about that time .

Not sure, it was related to the restaurant closing. Did they offer compo to poorly customers?

We don't stay, but drive back to Robin Hood's Bay. The coaching inn they own up the road from The Star looks good.

Flash

Just for you i phoned me mate , who's "up" on such stuff .

I quote " the star shut for 4-5 days for cleaning after a "bug" hit harome . Health officials from the district council and health officials from a private company were also called in by the Perns ( owners) Neither the council or the private health officials found anything to be at fault with the kitchens or eating area's."

Make of that what you will , it's not stopped me eating at the star , i'm going in 10 days time . WooHoo.

The pheasant further down the village is also very nice .

In east yorkshire, well the whole of yorkshire from my experience its The Pipe and Glass, south dalton, just got a michelin star! The star at harome used to be great but last time i went i was well dissapointed! overpriced and not that nice!

Edited by sambu13

In east yorkshire, well the whole of yorkshire from my experience its The Pipe and Glass, south dalton, just got a michelin star! The star at harome used to be great but last time i went i was well dissapointed! overpriced and not that nice!

ditto. Without exception. I've been to all of the 'nice' places around Hull for work with the exception of Winteringham fields. Pipe and glass every day for me. The finally got their Michelin star this year which is well deserved. It is posh british fare. All of the veg and (I think) all of the meat is sourced as locally as possible. Some of the sprouts and peas come from the land I shoot. Can't beat that.

A good second is the Westwood restaurant in Beverley. The food is almost as good, just a little cheaper, and they are a little less busy. If you're in the mood for indian, Ve Raj in Shiptonthorpe is the best indian food I've had worldwide (I've not been to india). Middle of nowhere on A1079. Great food.

If I jump over a county to North Yorks, I have to give props to the New Inn, Cropton. On the edge of the Moors, just outside of driffield. The absolute best fish and chips I've had in this country. Very good meat dishes and roasts. This is what a true country pub should be. Awesome beer too (Cropton Brewery owned by the same people and onsite). For a fiver, get a brew tour with an included pint on the end. Great place if you're in the Moors for a walk or shoot. Pair it with a day riding the Yorkshire Moors steam train for a nice family day. They have food in the bar area, a dining room and a family room downstairs. Rooms if you want one.

Thanks

Rick

ah sorry just seen its all about restraunts im only 22 havent seen enough of em to know lol valentines is about the only time i get in one apart from curry houses in which case the best ive been in was the light of bengal in romsey but t has closed :good: sad times

In which case I suggest you read all this drivel then go to the nearest place to you that has been recomended and then try the food. :rolleyes::yes:

Why do you only go to restaurants at Valentines? Thats about as daft as only buying flowers on Mother's Day. :yes:

Edited by MPT1