20 Bore for Sporting

Diceman

At college last week, we pattern tested a 12 bore with 1/2 and 3/4 choke against a 20 bore with 1/4 and 1/2. The 20 bore gave a much more even pattern and most of the shot was central.

I prefer 20 bore, but am currently stuck with a 12 bore, until I get some money :yes:

The Eley CT's are fairly cheap for a 20 gauge - I use 24gram ...... have a look at what you can buy thease for compared with a 12 gauge...... also depends on how many you shoot.

I love the 20 bore and and shoot clays about the same as a 12. The 20 is my gun of choice at the moment for field use where I am walking about a lot.

I shoot clays with a 20 bore cyl &1/4 24 gram steels they kill anything my club throws I shoot steels for price reasons only , but prefer lead, the gamebore steels are filthy carts but they do the job Iam a fan of rhe 20bore but realise the prizes go to the 12 gauges it is a pain the carts are so expensive Cheapest Ihave found £146 per Thou steels 21gramm fibre£163 21s are quite something and worth a try, thy hold a tight pattern My wife shoots a lincoln Prm gold and was with the help of the instructor at Sporting Targets Cambridge breaking tower birds I offered to change the chokes ,but he assured us that the skeet and cylinder would do the job they were Eley V I P S and they did . He said they were renoun for holding tight patterns . You just have to be a bit more accurate with a 20 this is where I come unstuck , but they are a joy to shoot Keep the loads light and enjoy :good:

Thanks all. I just checked the cartridge prices...holy cow! 25% more than 12s! I have possession of the gun now anyway (long story) so I'll give it a try and see how I get on, but even if it is a disaster I still have a nice light field gun to play with. Will try some lighter loads too.

Nobody that can shoot Sporting with any degree of proficiency would contemplate using a 20 bore in serious competition, fact. :good:

Cat.

I have a very low degree of proficiency and don't enter serious competitons, so that's OK :lol:

But my question is, why not? Same speed & amount of shot, albeit in a tighter pattern apparently, but can you compensate for that with a more open choke?

Its a Breda semi by the way.

I've used a Browning Gold S/A and a Miroku MK70 in 20 gauge to shoot sporting. On most hay bale shoots you won't be at a disadvantage- in fact one of the local shoots (Cleeve Hill) is famous for its fast, close pairs, so a quick-handling gun puts you at an advantage there. But at Woodspring Bay you'll see long crossers and loopers, where a more deliberate style of shooting helps, and heavier guns are favoured.

In terms of ballistics there is not much between the two- muzzle velocities will be similar, pattern is determined by choke constriction, not bore size, and 24 grammes of shot is all you need to kill a clay anyway- in fact, the popularity of 21 gramme cartridges in 12 gauge should tell you something.

But for serious shooting (ie. registered and FITASC) a 12 gauge is the better choice by far.

Nobody that can shoot Sporting with any degree of proficiency would contemplate using a 20 bore in serious competition, fact. :blink:

Cat.

Aah, that's where I'm going wrong :lol: But the same thing happens when I bring out my Winchester 23, 12 bore side by side. Looks like I'll have to use the trap gun then :lol: I have to say that I've had my best ever game season using a 20 bore - even though the ammo price is eye watering :rolleyes:

But for serious shooting (ie. registered and FITASC) a 12 gauge is the better choice by far.

But why?

Control. Heavier guns allow for a more controlled style of shooting. And the culumative effects of recoil are mitigated by a heavier gun.

None of this matters if you're just having a bit of fun with some mates at your local fifty birder, but it makes all the difference to the Digweeds and Fauldses of this world.

Edited by Windknot

At college last week, we pattern tested a 12 bore with 1/2 and 3/4 choke against a 20 bore with 1/4 and 1/2. The 20 bore gave a much more even pattern and most of the shot was central.

I prefer 20 bore, but am currently stuck with a 12 bore, until I get some money :lol:

I did the same - comparing my wifes 20G to my 12G. Pattern was just as good.