ratio of killed birds and fired cartridges

Hubertus

Hello,

what is a normal and a good ratio between fired cartridges and killed birds? I have normally a ratio off 25 %. ( i know I'm not a good shot gun shooter. But we have not many birds at all. Thats the reason why i'm not so well practised)

I'm very interested in the ratio of the good shooters. what is possible?

Waidmannsheil!

Hubertus

I,m satisfied with anything over 50%, as an average.

Some crops and set-ups, enable you to shoot nice easy birds all day, if they keep coming.

Obviously, the opposite is true.

Roost shooting tends to reduce the kills per cartridges, as the birds can be very difficult targets.

I am a better shot on pigeons, than clays, but I miss less driven pheasants than pigeons.    :*)

??? I am happy to average out at 50 and better,rarely do it though. Have found that using the rotor whilst bringing more birds in,they are often harder to shoot and this uses more cartridges.Also when using the 3 shot auto. this can be more expensive on the carts. as often the 3rd shot is fired in desperation. I have only twice got 3 birds at one time,but have fired all 3  many times.The way I look at it is, if you are having an enjoyable day,who is counting anyway. :P  :(

I shot over rape for the first time (this season) today. In a hour and a half I took twenty four shots, and bagged ten woodies and a squirrel. Somewhere about 45%, and to be honest, I think that is about my norm. My best ever ratio was 23 out of 25, but on that occasion I had few cartridges and there were stacks of pigeon, so I was really selective with my shots, and only went for the simple ones.

Guest flightline

Sorry to say about 20% overall, but days when i shoot loads (not very often) much better than that. Suspect when it`s difficult, i`m forced into taking really difficult shots.  By the way Hubertus, what does Waidmannsheil! mean?

:P

When the decoys are in the right place and you can get the birds in close, you shouldn,t miss too many.

If I don,t think I can kill the bird, I don,t shoot.

Often a "dodgy" shot, can scare away potentially better targets.

As I,m unemployed, I have the advantage, that if the birds aren,t playing the game, I go home.

Tomorrows another day........unless I go fishing. :P

Sorry to say about 20% overall, but days when i shoot loads (not very often) much better than that. Suspect when it`s difficult, i`m forced into taking really difficult shots.  By the way Hubertus, what does Waidmannsheil! mean?

:P

Its the german hunter greeting.

If you meet a hunter you say waidmannsheil and the other hunter says it too.

The second thing is if you have shot something you say to the hunter too waidmannsheil. than he answers with waidmannsdank (dank= thank you).

• 3 weeks later...

I KEEP VERY ACCURATE RECORDS OF EVERYTHING SHOT, AND HOW MANY CARTRIDGES WERE USED...

THE AVERAGE GUN, WHICH IS AROUND 80% OF CLIENTS, SHOOTS 1 IN 4

THE TOP SHOTS (VERY FEW OF THESE) KILL 70%

BEST AVERAGE BY A CLIENT EVER WAS 481 CARTRIDGES FOR A BAG OF 348 (VERY CONSISTENT, AND DIFFICULT BIRDS IN A 25mph WIND)

THE SECRET TO IMPROVEMENT IS TO FORGET ABOUT KILL TO CARTRIDGE RATIOS AND GET STUCK IN, TAKING ON THE MORE DIFFICULT TARGETS.  IF YOU DON'T DO THIS YOU WILL NEVER HONE YOUR SKILL TO A HIGH STANDARD.

MOST GUNS MISS DECOYED BIRDS BY SHOOTING AT LEAST A FOOT OVER THE BIRDS BACK.  UNDERLINE THESE TARGETS BY A BIRDS WIDTH AND YOU WILL KILL NEARLY ALL OF THEM...

BEST TIP FOR RAPE SHOOTING...

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR DECOYS ARE CLEAN.

TOUCH UP THE WHITE BITS (NECK AND WING BARS)

USE AT LEAST 50 DECOYS PLACING THEM 3ins ABOVE THE RAPE.

HAVE FUN...

GARY...

My hit to kill ratio varys alot depending what i am shooting but i average about 80% on clays 50% on pigeon and around 40% on pheasant it also varys alot on the conditions as well because i have been roost shooting on still calm evenings when the birds are coming over really high and dropping into the inacssesible parts in the middle of the woods and probbably only hit 3 birds in 25 shots. :P  :(

Think I probably average 70% on my first barrel then more like 30 - 40 % on my second barrel, Just of late I've changed to an auto and I must admit that third barrel can cock up your average, but it can also come in very handy. On pheasants I'm averaging over 80 % and on clays 80 % although I shot  a round of sporting today and hit 70% in windy conditions.

I just found a clay ground with a down the line trap. As this was the second time i had shot at clays i didnt think i'd do too well but i managed about 75% 8-)  The trap osilated and i seemed to hit the ones going extream left but very little going right. I went back the next sunday and hit 3 out of 50, It was snowing which is kinda my excuse. The clays going straight out, I seemed to lift them up and on another shot going forward i swear i saw the pettets hitting then bouncing back againt the wall behind me. How much do you's expect to pay for 25 clays? I was £5 so my wages will last a little longer  :P  :(