Big bags

I can only speak for myself on this issue, and these are my thoughts and my thoughts alone. I really dont have a problem with people shooting big bags, my biggest bag on my own is less than 50 birds.I think the people who complain about big bags are jealous of the people who shoot them. As far as the pigeon population goes if the birds wernt there you wouldn't be able to shoot them. I say good luck to anyone who has the oppertunity to shoot a large bag, and to the people who say its wrong "grow up".

Here here. shooters who knock fellow shooters for big bags have got to be the jelous types unfortunetly.Theres plenty of that round my area,but if you were to offer the same people the oppurtunity to get a big bag then they would be in the hide as quick as flash I,ve prooved that by setting one or two people up in the past,but still they moan,just human nature at its worst I suppose.

I agree that as we consider wood pigeon a pest, there is no need to consider moderating the bag, on a days shooting.

I have never heard other shooters criticising large numbers of wood pigeon being shot.

I know a few, that think there should be limits on the numbers of duck and geese being shot.

But, thats not jealousy, its more a concern that wildfowl numbers need some conserving.

That certainly is not the case with wood pigeons.

Good luck to anyone who can achieve a big bag, as long as make the every effort to pick up all your shot birds.  

I know a lad who shot 200 plus birds over barley, and didn't pick up a single bird. saying that he didnt have a freezer.

To lazy more like  :P  image the Public Responce on someone discovering birds lying all over the place. :(

Pigeon shooting is a form of pest control so you shouldn't  stop shooting because you think you are shooting to many it would be like a pest controller being called in to sort out a rat infestation but he only destroys half the rats there and then stopping because he is worried of what people will say.

if the farmer wants you to controll the pigeons then do it he probably wont be to happy if you stop either.

here in leicestershire we have more than our fair share of the uk's population of pigeons me and my dad have shot plenty of 100+ bags and a couple of 200+ bags, all of which are even eaten or sold, and that has probably not even dented the local population  :P  :(

The biggest bag for me was 47, since then average about 10 to 15 but love every minute of it. Don’t mined if it was only 2 or 3 as long as I'm out there. I know the farms where I shoot would not be happy if I stop shooting because I thought I had shot too many they are only interested in protecting their crops, understandable after all it is their lively hood. But I do know some people do not want to shoot 100  or 120 pigeons in one day well that’s their right & good luck to them, I’m still trying for 50.b.m.

Like most of you I think big bags are fine, but i do feel you should make every effort to pick them up and eat or sell them. The only time i dont look to hard is on swathed rape as more harm than good can be by climbing over the rows or letting the dog hunt for them. I could not understand why the new pigeon record stood as they did'nt pick all the birds up. Another problem crop is barley i think as you tend to get a small area of laid and the birds are hard to fine if they fall in the standing crop. These are my thoughts any way.

My personal opinion is we are trying to reduce pests - controlling vermin that damages crops etc.  The numbers are really incidental.  If you are going to count the numbers and claim records, my dear ol' dad insists that they don't count if you can't show them at the end of the day!  As soon as you find something that has a beatable figure, such as 'biggest bag', things tend to get a little silly.  If you don't need to pick them up for them to be counted, and we never miss (yeah right) then we must all be big bag holders.  My own philosophy is 'Forget the numbers; enjoy the sport; control the damage and do your best to collect your 'kills' and project a professional image to others'.   :what:

I've shot at a few big bags but am worried about wounding them and letting them blow away to die elsewear.

The best day I've had was at my local tip, in 30mph winds,

yes i'm a big fan of driven sainsbury bags. :(  ???

my only problem is carring them home - what do you boyz use to carry your shot bags home in :P???  8-)  :*)

P.S Cranfield says one day he'll take me Harrods bag shooting,

Oh to be rich now that spring is here...... :S

• 2 weeks later...

The owner of the crops that you are protecting will not be best pleased if you suddenly pack up and go home, with pigeons still coming in on his livelihood, because you think you have shot enough. At least, run out of cartridges, or say you have.

Equally, if you are called out to shoot over a crop, you don't go away and wait for numbers to build up in order to get a bigger bag.

Nice to find you, Brian!!