Stealth nets

anser2

Over the past couple of days i have been using nylon stealth net. Yesterday I set up in standing maze in bright sunshine and without doubt many birds saw me. I used a ex army camo net as a background ( along with the maze stalks ) stealth net hide front and wore pale realtree camo. Today on a dull cloudy , fog\misty day i set against a woodland edge with ivy as a background. The start with I had just the stealth net as the hide front. Again even though i was still a number of pigeons obviously saw me though things improved when I draped an army camo net over the outside , leaving a small window of stealth net to look through. Even so a few birds did see me. Again i was wearing realtree camo ( hardwoods ) and kept very still until ready for a shot.

In short I am not very impressed with stealth nets , what are other shooters experiances with them?

I have used stealth net since they have come out and i think they are the best thing since sliced bread neaver had a problem with them. Are you sure somthing was not glinting like hide poles or barrels i have never had a problem with birds flairing off because of the net and i do a hell of a lot of shooting with these nets. :rolleyes::yes:

They're incredibly strong. I used to just use a normal bit of camo netting and my dog would sometimes push so hard through it trying to pick up that it tore. My stealth net has literally been dragged through everything, had the dog slam into it and me trip over it and there's not a single rip!

If there's one thing you should get, it's a stealth net :yes::rolleyes:

If it is a bright day sometimes you can get silhouetting, which, as others have said, can be reduced by using a good background net. However, a couple of other things spring to mind. There are different stealth nets! some better than others. Also, yo might consider cutting a small piece of ExArmy camo to make a roof as this can make a very big difference in creating a bit of a shadow on bright days and seems to make the stealth net more effective.

My roof piece is about 1.2M X 0.7M and very handy if your hide is a bit exposed

I have used stealth net since they have come out and i think they are the best thing since sliced bread neaver had a problem with them. Are you sure somthing was not glinting like hide poles or barrels i have never had a problem with birds flairing off because of the net and i do a hell of a lot of shooting with these nets. :rolleyes::yes:

yep i love mine :yes:

even with a hedge at the back of the stealth ,odd times woodys would get spooked coming to the decoys,but solved that by wearing gloves bhind the ghoust net.top bit of kit they are,many a time had no more, room to carry excess birds back to the ccar amile away in one trip,so put them in center of net tied corners up an over shoulder.certainly sweats the beer out an keeps one fit not having 4x4

Perhaps I should add my stealth net is a Jack Pike one with a woodland style pattern. The hide poles are green and today there was no sun to glint on the barrels. Still too many birds saw me .

Im not that keen on any jack pike products they are cheap for a reason. If you can try and get som 2 ply stealth net from uk shoot warehouse its realy good works a treat all so try putting a roof on your hide.

I always but always use another net for the background, I also vary the net I use to suit the hedge or bush I am using, sometimes the stealth pattern and colour is effective, but at this time of year I nearly always put camoreal nets to the front of me, the darker nets blends in far better in winter.

KW

Perhaps I should add my stealth net is a Jack Pike one with a woodland style pattern. The hide poles are green and today there was no sun to glint on the barrels. Still too many birds saw me .

There's your problem...everyone thinks you're talking about the 'stealth nets' supplied by our sponsors. The two ply stuff that's, IMO, not half bad but I think you're talking about that see thru nylon sheet that's little better than net curtains. I use it but only as an inner net as on it's own it's about as useful as cellophane for hiding behind! I also have some lighter coloured 'stealth nets' for goose shooting on the marshes and that's damn good for hiding in maize cover.

I use our sponsors Stealth net and they are great. I carry the Stealth net and a Clearview net as well and find the combinations I get between the two nets suits every situation. I often drape the stealth net on poles whilst stretching (tight) the Clearview net which gives me windows in the hide if that makes sense.

If there are dead grasses about or fallen branches, I'll add these to the front of the hide as well.

Never had a problem with my Jack Pyke one. I use it on its own fastened to fishing poles with elastic bands. I get Pigeons tight in to the hide just 15 metres away into the decoys. I think the trick is to have a solid background and keep stock still until you are ready to shoot. Works for me, unless the pigeons are just thick in East Yorkshire! LOL

I no where to buy a stealth net which will be 5 meters long with hanging loops to attach to hide poles if anybodys interested :rolleyes:

Thats saved me asking a question. Does anybody know where to get a longer stealth net from? Why can't it be bought off the roll? I would be interested if anybody can tell me. Thanks.

I have used stealth net since they have come out and i think they are the best thing since sliced bread neaver had a problem with them. Are you sure somthing was not glinting like hide poles or barrels i have never had a problem with birds flairing off because of the net and i do a hell of a lot of shooting with these nets. :good::lol:

I was shooting rooks 1 day and a few birds saw me which i could not understand then a farm hand came over and said he could see some thing glinting in the sun it turned out to be my pigeon watch badge it just goes to show you cant be to carefull.

Its my experience they need a good solid background, to prevent the shooter being silhouetted.

They can also get a bit lively on a windy day, unless you tie, or clamp them to the poles.

I still use my ex MoD camo net to good effect. :good:

In a nutshell, when pigeon shooting last year I couldnt work out why the pigeon kept jinking then walking out to pick up some dead birds there is was, you could see right through was in plain view my boys silhouette, so I hung MOD stuff behind me agaist the hedge, 106 for the privelige

I still hang a little piece of MOD stuff over the see through netting leaving just enough room at the top to see through :

Alan

My PW badge caused me the same probs wear it at the back now!!

Edited by Alanl50