Baiting fields

supergame

I can see the attraction, but not the necessity.

You can argue all day long about moral ethics, but from a purely practical view, I think it requires too much effort and finance, for the average pigeon shooter.

First in getting permission,next purchasing/obtaining the food, then finding a suitable field/area,also humping the food about and distributing it on the field.

Made me tired, just thinking about it. :P

Certain people who may have limited access to pigeon shooting or a small acreage to shoot in my opinion shouldn't feel that they are being unethical if they are allowed to bait a field to improve there chances of a few shots. Certain counties are being taken over by pigeon guides and land is hard to come by,therefore i feel that should a pigeon shooter decide to spend a few quid on wheat etc and make the effort to improve his chances then so be it,lets face it why should he line a guides pockets when he can make a bit of sport for himself. Again back to the pest control side, when the birds are not feeding on a baited field then they will be feeding on a crop,so shooting them over bait is just as beneficial in terms of crop protection as it over a crop.

Certain people who may have limited access to pigeon shooting or a small acreage to shoot in my opinion shouldn't feel that they are being unethical if they are allowed to bait a field to improve there chances of a few shots. Certain counties are being taken over by pigeon guides and land is hard to come by,therefore i feel that should a pigeon shooter decide to spend a few quid on wheat etc and make the effort to improve his chances then so be it,lets face it why should he line a guides pockets when he can make a bit of sport for himself. Again back to the pest control side, when the birds are not feeding on a baited field then they will be feeding on a crop,so shooting them over bait is just as beneficial in terms of crop protection as it over a crop.
Certain counties are being taken over by pigeon guides and land is hard to come by,therefore i feel that should a pigeon shooter decide to spend a few quid on wheat etc and make the effort to improve his chances then so be it,lets face it why should he line a guides pockets

There, there.....come and put your head on my silver lined shoulder and cry your eyes out.

Everyone knows even we bait up fields just like when George shot his 661 with us. Zzzzzzzzzzzz, pass me the valium.

Will, I don,t really understand why you have replied as you have.

Unless its your intention to alienate your Guide service and any other business, you are associated with.

I don,t think anyone wants to cry on your "silver lined shoulder".

Certainly not me, when I have my own platinum lined shoulder to cry on. :P

Glad you said that Cranfield because I'm not sure where he's comming from. I was always of the impression that Digweed shot 661 over set aside, having said that if they did bait the field I'm not concerned about it, You have still got to hit them and good on anyone who can shoot a bag like that,it takes some doing. I think Wills point is I commented on guides taking land off other shooters and charging other shooters to shoot land. I don't care what anyone says it prevents certain people shooting and allows others to shoot,good and bad me thinks. Doesn't affect me ,but I know people it does affect and when they loose shooting because of money its not a good feeling I should think! People will now comment on the crop protection factor,but I'm pretty sure many guides are not concencerned about the crops deep down,just the income they gain.

I know its a few years since I shot pigeons, but why are Guidesbeing allowed near people with guns and stuff? It wasn't in their badge syllabus last time I looked.  :(  ???

Surely, they must be under 11 yrs old (Reg 23 - Guide Handbook pg 34) and, wouldn't all the crop residue, mud and stuff ruin their nice blue uniforms?  If my daughter got her uniform in a mess like that I'd be ringing 'Brown Owl' to have a moan!!

And they do say the only thing worse than a Guide on your land is...

A Brownie in your trousers :(  :D  ???  :P

Now remember...... play nice... :(

Guest flightline

Surely the very essence of pigeon shooting is fieldcraft and the deception of wild creatures in connection with the available food the birds want at the time. Feeding fields may possibly be justified in the case of barns and steadings. Or where it is done purely for pest control. But that does not then have  much to do with the basis of the sport, which is hunting, in my view. :P

If someone baits a field they will still have to position the hide in the correct place in relation to the wind etc and also set up the correct decoy pattern as you would on any other field,so the art of decoying is not lost and also to make a good bag up you will then have to shoot straight as you would anywhere else. The fors and againsts could therefore be argued all day and night.

A while ago I started a thread "can collared doves be decoyed". A farmer had asked me to reduce the numbers of collareds in his yard, but didn't want any shooting around his buildings. I've started feeding them out from the farmyard with wheat, and I am hoping to bag a few this weekend. So far it's cost me about 7 quid in grub (hardly breaking the bank) plus a bit of inconvenience in the mornings. In my opinion this has all been necessary for pest control. However, with regard to Woodies, I think fieldcraft is what it's all about. You watch em, track em, chase em around the county, and when you think you know em, you set up a hide and try to convince them that THE place to be is thirty yards in front of your barrels.

Obviously you see the pigeon as a sporting bird as well as a pest, as I do. I value the pigeon as highly as a pheasant if not higher in sporting terms, at least they are native to this country,But when alls said and done a farmer sees them as a pest so therefore we come back to the bit about pest control, a pigeon dead in the eyes of most farmers is one less pigeon to be bothered by regardless of where and how it was shot.

• 2 weeks later...

deako you can thank pp for that there is a thread that explains it all but the essence of it is if you shoot pigeon for sport you need a game licence if you shoot them for crop pretection you dont cant remember what the thread was called started by pp i think it was game licences.