ADVISE

mjb1972

:rolleyes:

Any shotgun will do the job, but in my opinion I would stay clear of using a semi automatic at a clay ground.

You can pick up a cheap over and under and I've even known a lad to get given one for free off this forum! Have a look on www.guntrader.co.uk and you can sort them by price.

When looking for a shotgun for clays, keep an eye out for 'multi choke' and you want to avoid anything that has a '3/4 and/or full choke' as you'll miss more.

If your local clay ground has a shop, pop in and have a go with a gun (If you've got a licence) and see what you like.

All the best :blink:

I use a semi at the clay ground, Only put two carts in and when finished

place my safety flag in it,or put it in the gun bag.. I have had no probs doing this,

but no more than two carts at a time as this is when an gun safety issue

can arrise...i.e one cart left in the breach.. :rolleyes:

no prblem with a semi auto for clays. :rolleyes:

i was recomended a semi auto as my first gun, as i was going to use for

clays and rough shooting, the third shot could come in handy rough of pigeon shooting - although as above

you only need to load 2 for clays, and use a flag when not in the stand, then in the slip between stands.

there is no prejudice against the safety of a semi auto at the clay clubs i go to,

just use a bit of common sence and also pick up your spent cartridges.

if you are only going to do clays i would recomend a multi choke u/o,

gives you more scope to play with the chokes if you have a close and distant target,

with a semi you've got to pick one for the stand and it may be a compromise for the targets.

Also forgot to add, when carrying the semi,whith safety flag on show,

i also carry it barrell down pointing it at the floor. :rolleyes:

:lol:? Advice is usually to carry it barrel facing directly / straight upwards, placing the butt in your cartridge pocket if convenient, showing the flag / open breech /Saf-T-plug clearly. Carrying it barrel down is decidedly unsafe in the event it did go off for any reason at all as the shot will spray round your legs / those walking with you / vehicles in the car park etc - DON'T DO IT!!!! It looks unsafe and is almost (although not quite!) as bad as walking around with an unbroken O/U barrels facing ground. :blink:

As you say however, there is absolutely no issue at all with using a semi on the clay grounds or for registered shoots either - can't think why there should be, either!!!!

Hi all im mike from chester can anyone recomend a entry level gun for clay shooting?

Regards

Mike

The one that fits you best. Generally O/U are the norm for Clays. S/S for Game and Semi auto for rough/Pigeon (although a semi should be OK for Clays I was told not to buy a semi for clays by the instructor... While it should be fine i would take advice locally)

I have a S/S I inherited but local clay ground i can rent an O/U for £5 a round (you have to shoot alot of rounds before buying a gun makes sense)

Sorry lads but I have got to disagree with the "avoid multichoke" quotes. My first shotgun was a baikal o/u fixed choke. The chokes were full/extra full and I miss just as much now with 1/2 and 1/2 choke as I did before.

I think choke is all in the mind. Point the gun in the right place and it will hit the target.

The thing to get right is gun fit. Have a look at some guns and your gunsmith will tell you if it fits or not.

Another thing is, get a gun that fits your budget. The only reasons I have a side by side is because it fit me and my budget. It was everything I didnt want in a gun, double trigger, non-ejector, SxS, but it shoots where I am looking so I cant go wrong with it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Keep us posted :lol:

Edited by SSS

Sorry lads but I have got to disagree with the "avoid multichoke" quotes.

I'd just say that you were reducing your chances of hitting a clay. If your judgement is slightly off, the fixed tight choke could make all the difference... However seeing as you're hitting the same amount, I can only assume you're a God at shooting :oops:

Hi all im mike from chester can anyone recomend a entry level gun for clay shooting?

Regards

Mike

Go with your shooting pals and try theirs. The gunshops are full of guns

that didn't suit so find one you are comfortable with before you think

of buying. The most quoted entry guns include Beretta S/A, Lanber Sporter, Browning

Medallist, Beretta 686,Rizzini,Baikal I'd happily with shoot any of them

( I have )

Have a drool at the gunreviews at Shooting Times

don't expect to see any bad reviews I can't ever remember seeing one.

Edited by Delbert

Get yourself a couple of lessons with a good coach that others have recommended. It will save you a fortune in the end.

He/she will tell you what it is you need to look for and try, then get out there and try them to see which ones you like and which of those you like fits you.

But have fun and be safe. :oops:

I'd just say that you were reducing your chances of hitting a clay. If your judgement is slightly off, the fixed tight choke could make all the difference... However seeing as you're hitting the same amount, I can only assume you're a God at shooting :)

Either a god or ****! not sure which though.

Tighter choke produces a longer shot string, if you are on the target, it will be dead.

Longer shot string will give the clay slightly more time to hit the shot pattern.

I know of an ex-professional clay shooter that would only use tight choke.

Get the gun which feels right. That is why I chose a £160 AYA over a £300 multichoke U/O, it fitted me better.

The reason I said avoid multi-coke is because we havn't all got enough money to spend the extra for something which doesnt really make a lot of difference.

If I had to sacrifice gun fit for multi-choke, I know which would go :)

Either a god or ****! not sure which though.

Tighter choke produces a longer shot string, if you are on the target, it will be dead.

Longer shot string will give the clay slightly more time to hit the shot pattern.

I know of an ex-professional clay shooter that would only use tight choke.

Get the gun which feels right. That is why I chose a £160 AYA over a £300 multichoke U/O, it fitted me better.

The reason I said avoid multi-coke is because we havn't all got enough money to spend the extra for something which doesnt really make a lot of difference.

If I had to sacrifice gun fit for multi-choke, I know which would go :)

:):yes::yes::yes::hmm::hmm::hmm:

It's one thing for an "ex-professional" (whatever one of them is :) ) clay shooter to use a tight choke, but for most of us, using full choke is just penalising ourselves. I notice approximately 10% reduction in hits, if I shoot a round using full choke, as opposed to half choke. I've now actually dropped to quarter choke, on advice from blokes who can shoot :)

Multichoke every time. Not negotiable.