Fibre vs plastic.

dodeer

I would like to voice my opinons on plastic wadded cartridges,  I often walk past fields where i see loads of plastic wads laying around and wonder why people use the things, when fibre wad carts are so good these days? I think that we all need to become more shooting friendly and fibre is the way to go from a wildlife view and anti - shooting view.

What do you lot think?

THANKS.

This is a topical and rather sensitive subject.  We all have a view, but try not to cast the 'non converted' into hell and damnation    :what:  :what:

I appreciate the environmental issues, but I do feel the lack of shot cup can badly affect the shot pattern.  This is only my opinion and isn't scientifically based   :P

I'm not sure you want an opinion, rather an agreement  :C

Fibre for me, if there in the pattern there dead.

Countless times have i shot on fresh drillings after someone else and have had to pick up the wads for fear of the farmer thinking there where mine.

I don't believe all this rubbish about hitting harder with plastic wads. Never used them and NEVER feel the need to use them!!

Harry H,

shouldn't rubbish them if you've never tried them!  I've found a set of test results in an old Shooting Times relating to plastic cups giving better, consistant patterns over their fibre competition.  The general consensus is that over a longer distance the pattern is better formed with less variation between shots.  If I can get my scanner to work I'll post it for folk to see. :P

Deako, top news about Hull's 'biodegraders'.  I'll get a box to try.  If they suit my gun I'll change over as I'll get my precious shot cup AND help do my bit for the environment  :(  ???

I think it has been scientifically proved, that plastic cups give a better consistent pattern over distance, than felt wads.

The big question is, does it matter that much to the live quarry shooter ?

I don,t think it does.

There are so many other reasons to miss a bird, that the wrong cup/wad, is the least of my worries.

I can understand why it is important to the clay/competition shooters.

One missed clay, can mean success or failure.

Plastic cups laying around a field, are as ugly and uneccesary a sight, as empty cartridge cases.

Most farms with livestock, or that are "organic", ban them anyway.

Every game syndicate I have ever known, bans them.

The Hull biodegradable plastic wad is the way forward.

I have heard of them and my local gunshop stocks them.

As I don,t have a preferance for plastic cups, I haven,t enquired about the price.

I suspect there is a premium to pay.

I would add that, I don,t think pigeon shooters that use plastic cups are "bad people", each to his own.  :P

I've just scanned through the prices of the bio degradable cartridges.  They are between 20 and 30% more expensive  

???

That said, I have made a conscious decision to buy this type from now on, then I get to keep my precious shot cup!  Probably phsycological but necessary     :(

It'll be a belated New Year resolution and one less person for the antis of our sport to use to support their protests    

Might even try to 'exchange' the unused plastics I have in the safe    :P

• 3 months later...

Just found this so thought I would add my tuppence.

I have always used plastic wads as they give between 10 and 15%tighter patterns than fibre,or used to anyway.

I mistakenly bought some Hull fibre special pigeon and actually found them superb.They kill well at range and stuff 'em close in.

I have also used Gamebore Extreme pigeon.Boy,they shoot very tightly but chuck plastic all over the place.

My shooting partner and I just use the Hull now and feel better for it and don't miss plastic.Farmageddon

At the risk of upsetting good old YP, I must say that having shot plaswads at clays with approx 20 other guys every weekend for 15 years over one arable field from '82 to '97, I walked that same field in February and can honestly say I could not see a single plaswad on the field....where did they go?:blink: - They have all literally disappeared, and I must say that over arable land, I don't believe it matters.

I'd like to think that they've been eaten by all the Crows, Magpies, Rats, Foxes, Stoats and Weasels that frequent the same field, and that they've all choked to death...!!!

:lol:??????

2 things.

Is there a fibre wad that will protect the bore from the harder non-toxic shot?

Someone recommended a cartridge(plastic) that would not jam in an Ithaca pump-action, but I've forgotten what it was, 'clear pigeon' perhaps?

i do try and stick to fibre when shooting aywhere other than clay grounds that allow them for a few reasions,the first and most important for me is a fair bit of the land i shoot on i dairy farm/livestock,so i try to keep all cartridges for this side of the sport the same to avoid accidentally tipping a box of plastic in my pocket and possably losing some shooting ground because of it.On clays however if i am allowed to shoot plastic i will as they are cheaper and i'm a tight *** :blink:

Right click over it.......save pic as....... click on it where you saved it on your pc.............zoom in. Not that i done it of course :*)

Somehow I've managed to get it working as my computer's wallpaper (whole screen), but I can't remember how I did it. Something to do with the active desktop and synchronization.