Beer

ochre

I've just started on a new project - home brew real ale. Is this a dark and dangerous path to take? Is home brewer synonymous with alcoholic? Will it be utterly disgusting? Will I be very disappointed after lovingly looking after my first batch? Enough silliness, what kits do you rate fellas? Myself, I like it dark brown. ???

1st attempt, which is beginning to froth, is Woodforde's Wherry.

If you are making beer with a kit then forget the sugar and simply use two kits.

The beer will have more body, and it won’t be a thin pint of p!ss that blows your head off. ???

Used to make loads of beer and wine many years ago (when young and strong) but now hardly drink at all, so wouldn’t be worth the effort now.

Don’t mess about with bottles as they take too much cleaning, and you will always get a secondary fermentation which will lift the sediment if you pour it out carelessly.

Go for a plastic barrel and a CO2 valve, which will give it a nice head and will also make it taste smoother. :D

Expensive to set up, but it’s a bit like reloading…..it becomes a fascinating pastime which can be addictive.

The only downside is the fact that you will always have your mates round to drink the FREE beer. ;);)

G.M.

I've just started on a new project - home brew real ale. Is this a dark and dangerous path to take? Is home brewer synonymous with alcoholic? Will it be utterly disgusting? Will I be very disappointed after lovingly looking after my first batch? Enough silliness, what kits do you rate fellas? Myself, I like it dark brown. ???

1st attempt, which is beginning to froth, is Woodforde's Wherry.

I've got some cherry, plum, blackbery and apple Vodka on the go at the moment

The cherry tastes FANTASTIC!

mind theres nowt to making it

I'm thinking of trying to make some cider over winter

I'll let you know how i get on

WB

ochre

I started on the path .... Kits ..... partial mash ....... full mash . i have a 10 gallon re-infusion mash system . Can't use it any more 2 brews a week were going on . Once you get off the kits , buy yourself Graham wheelers how to brew british at home .

Have fun ,and remember once you start it'll be 9 months to become a ragin **** head .. burp

all the best yis yp ???

Go for a plastic barrel and a CO2 valve, which will give it a nice head and will also make it taste smoother. ;)

Ype thats what my old man used to use

he had the ball shaped ones with the co2 on the top a couple of turns of the co2 and you have a nice pint ;)

where is the best place to buy home brew kits ???

Ok So you have made your wort and it's sitting in your big plastic fermenting bin , and your waitng for the temperature to drop so you can add your yeast without killing it .

At THIS point you are going to place some of the wort in a steralised bottle , and place this bottle in the fridge . When the fermentation is done and your ready to barrel your beer , your going to take the bottle of wort out of the fridge and add it to your barrel to prime the beer .

Also to avoid that "yeasty" flavour . Were going to do a secondary fermentation . Buy a glass carboy (about £25 ) a bung and an airlock . When the vigourous primary fermentation has ended . Syphon your beer out of the plastic fermenting bin into the glass carboy . leave the beer in the carboy for a week or so then barrel it .

When you syphon your beer out of the primary fermentation vessel , you will notice a big yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter , this yeast cake is what produces the "yeasty" flavour in your beer . But we have now removed the beer off this dead yeast .

all the best yis yp ???

On the advice of someone on here I tried the "woodfords" range of sugar free kits. In the past I had used the kind where you had to add brewing sugar to the mix, but was not always pleased wth the results due to a slight "artificial" taste. The one I bought was Woodford's "Nog", as I am a big fan of dark beer. It is fantastic! It wont be officially ready until tomorrow, but I have had a couple of tasters :thumbs:

I would say that if you have the patience and space (and in all honesty you dont need a HUGE amount of either), homebrewing is very worthwhile.

Pete

Ochre,

Since you are a fellow northants man, if you are within reasonable distance of rushden, I would be more than happy to invite you over for a tasting of my homebrew, or wouldbe equally happy to come and assist you in getting started. Drop me an email!

Pete