Linseed

MAJ

A farmer who kindly lets me scare his pigeons has said that he intends to sow a field of about 25 acres with Linseed. I've never had experience of this crop before, and was wondering a) Will it attract pigeons

:P If it does, when is the best time to get on it

c) What the hell is it used for

I would ask the farmer, but when he told me it was as though he expected me to know all this, and I don't want him to think he's got a right plonker on his hands (which of course he has).

Have never had the chance to shoot over linseed, but think you could be in for some good sport. Good luck.

I fed my racing pigeons linseed, in smal quantity's, they love it, fighting over each other to get to in.

Only thing I can think of getting from linseed is oil, thatl get the search engines working overtime to inform me what I dont know.

All answers on a post card.

cheers

Hi maj,

i have shot over linseed before, i found yhe best time to shoot over it is when its first sown or when it firsts chits(starts growing) never had much sucsess after that stage. linseed is indeed grown for its oil wich goes for cosmetics, magerine, cricket bats, gun stocks ect ect.

you should have some good sport on it!  :P

best of luck

Buzzer

• 2 months later...

I had an afternoon on this field on Friday, Conditions were far from ideal, a good breeze which kept the floater going, but prolonged heavy showers. The crop is about 2-3 inches tall, and I have been watching the pigeons go bonkers for it for the last couple of weeks, but sadly work commitments have kept me off it. I had a cracking couple of hours. During the breaks in the rain the birds were just throwing themselves at me, and I finished with 54 from 75 shots. I'm hoping to get at least another day in the next week or so, as there are still plenty of them around.