new toy

viking

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See, I really want some sort of offroad vehicle, but I don't really NEED one... Can I be rude, and ask roughly what something like that would cost?

Between £1.5K & £4.5K depending upon condition. There's a lot curently on the fleabay which should keep prices down a bit, come summer they'll be up again. And they're still breaking them, those that remain can only increase (slowly) in value. That's what I keep telling SWMBO, it's an investment. :lol:

Thanks Chris.

Tempting, tempting... I aready have one classic car which, while I doubt it's gaining value, is not depreciating much. And I do most of the work on it myself. But I still couldn't really afford two, so I'd have to get a 4X4 that would do everything, including motorway runs and occasional short journeys to work without hideous fuel consumption... :s Hmm, back to the drawing board I think!

Tempting, tempting... I aready have one classic car which, while I doubt it's gaining value, is not depreciating much. And I do most of the work on it myself.
These really are "nuts and bolts" machines, working on them is easy and most parts are still freely available.
But I still couldn't really afford two, so I'd have to get a 4X4 that would do everything, including motorway runs and occasional short journeys to work without hideous fuel consumption... :s Hmm, back to the drawing board I think!
They don't really like motorways, 50mph is about the best maximum, above this and you'll quickly go deaf, however fitting overdrive is a possibility, haven't experienced it myself so can't really comment. Plus it's not much fun watching the juggernauts closing fast from behind!

Fuel consumption = 16 - 20 mpg depending upon tyres fitted and other considerations, not really recommended for regular long journeys. On the other hand it's amazing just how much junk you can carry around in one of these. Add a Sankey trailer and you've really got carrying capacity plus they go together so well.

These really are "nuts and bolts" machines, working on them is easy and most parts are still freely available.

They don't really like motorways, 50mph is about the best maximum, above this and you'll quickly go deaf, however fitting overdrive is a possibility, haven't experienced it myself so can't really comment. Plus it's not much fun watching the juggernauts closing fast from behind!

Fuel consumption = 16 - 20 mpg depending upon tyres fitted and other considerations, not really recommended for regular long journeys. On the other hand it's amazing just how much junk you can carry around in one of these. Add a Sankey trailer and you've really got carrying capacity plus they go together so well.

Thanks Chris, I'll bear it in mind. And yes, I think cheap Jap would be better than an old landrover, though I do like the looks of the old defenders.

I saw a Korean(?) 4x4 for sale on the way into work yesterday - a Ssangyong I think it was. 55 plate, £2,500 - cheap as chips for a car that new! (Didn't check the mileage or anything though, I suppose it could have been thrashed in 4 or 5 years).

Cheers.

Hi Viking, I know for sure you don't have THAT lightweight in your garage :good: ...............because its bloody parked in mine!! I rebuilt that 1972 lightweight with a 200TDI motor in it.I know that for a fact as its pictured in my yard.Anyone wants to see any more pictures search my old topics and there are a few on the thread (including the one at the beginning of this thread).......... :good:

Cheers Nev